replacing x number of blank lines with two blank lines

replacing x number of blank lines with two blank lines

NewbieNewbie

Oct 26, 2010#1

I'm new to regex, and often have a problem with my html documents. I need to relace multiple blank lines with only two blank lines. It's very simple using Word 2003 so I guessed that Perl regex will do at least as well because it's more powerful and flexible. I searched the posts, however, and can't find anything that seems to solve my problem.

Can anyone help me?

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 26, 2010#2

Easy. Do a Perl RegEx Replace All:

Find Text:

(\r\n){2,}

Replace Text:

\r\n\r\n\r\n

Now, you said "x number of blank lines", you didn't say "anything greater than two blank lines". So, the RegEx I provided will do this where you only have one blank line as well. If this was not your intention, than replace the "2" with a "4", and you'll be set.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 26, 2010#3

Bracket,

Wow! Worked perfectly. Thanks much!
        Bob

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 26, 2010#4

You're very welcome. :)

MasterMaster

Oct 26, 2010#5

bobcdy wrote:I need to relace multiple blank lines with only two blank lines.
            FYI - UltraEdit supports multi-line find and replace strings. While regex is the more elegant solution (you can replace any number of blank lines at a time as Bracket demonstrated) you can also perform a non-regex search and replace of blank lines by using Ctrl+J keypresses in the Find What and Replace With fields.