UEM very slow

UEM very slow

NewbieNewbie

Dec 18, 2010#1

I just installed UEM and it is very slow when I type text or select text. You normally expect to type and select text in real-time (as fast as you type or move the cursor to select) but it is significantly slower which is very annoying. Startup time and the performance of all other functions is fine. Anybody else with this problem?
    Cheers
    Volker

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 18, 2010#2

What Mac? Which OS? etc?

I have been using this since Beta III and have no such problems on both a MacPro Tower and 13" MBP both with SnowLeopard

NewbieNewbie

Dec 19, 2010#3

Here the specs of my Mac. I do not have any other performance issues with any other program. It's very weird.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
        Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
        Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
        Number Of Processors: 1
        Total Number Of Cores: 2
        L2 Cache: 3 MB
        Memory: 8 GB
        Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I really hope to find a fix for that because there is nothing that compares to UE.
        Cheers
        Volker

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 19, 2010#4

Well your specs are identical to my 13" MBP with one exception.... you have 2x the memory... I only have 4 gig.

But one thing I did think of.... How FULL is your disk drive? UE is a disk based editor..... and unless you are do a small document, it requires HD space [kind of like a page/swap file] and if your drive is full or nearly so, that can cause UE to spend time arranging things, thus slowing down it response.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 19, 2010#5

I have to add that i see some of the same behavior as well and have a Intel X-25 G2 160gb SSD with more than 100gb free space so that should not be a problem. While i type using UEM i can easily see some delay and it's very easy to see if typing a lot of random letters very fast and it will continue to print the letters several seconds after i stopped typing on the keyboard. Other applications on the same Mac like Word 2011, textmate and others i'm unable to type faster than the Mac can print the letters on the screen. So those are realtime as spidermike said opposed to UEM where there is a distinct delay. I also use UE for Windows where i neither see this problem.

Also if i have a textfile with many lines that goes beyond what is shown without scrolling downwards then if i click in the text document and hold the mouse button while scrolling downwards to select many lines the scrolling is very slow. Doing the same thing using textmate with a textfile that is 800 lines it takes seconds to select every line by holding the mouse button and scroll downwards. Using UEM it takes ages....took too long so didn't even bother to see how long it would take. Not sure if this is some kind of setting i have not yet found.

When using UE for Windows i can drag a text file and drop it on the UE application and it will open. Doing the same using UEM it will work if i do not have any documents open. If i already have one or more textfiles open nothing happen doing the same thing. If i drop the textfile on the icon in the dock it open fine though.

gann

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2010#6

So it seems that I'm not the only one. Just asked my friend to install it and it runs fine on his Mac with a similar setup and even a less powerful Mac. I think we can exclude hardware performance issues.
              CPU is idling while typing. Any idea what to monitor or to look for to find the performance bottle neck?
              spidermike

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2010#7

Well what I would suggest is quite obvious then...

What is different about your Mac and your friends?

If it is not hardware... then perhaps you have some background functions running that are in conflict with UE, but do not conflict with other editor apps.... Things that your friend does NOT have on his Mac?

Maybe fire up "Activity Monitor" on your and his machines and see what is consuming more or less resources.....

And of course if you can pinpoint it.... make sure you let IDM know what you find

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2010#8

I have the same problem. UltraEdit for Mac is absolut unusable. Even with small files (ie: 300K) it is not possible to scroll up and down. You'll get the beachball and have to wait for seconds. I have enough diskspace and i have no other background functions running.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2010#9

Just to add some more info. I tried UEM on a brand new Mac Mini (the 2.4GHz CPU model) with 8gb of RAM and a 160gb Intel SSD. For background tasks which is not default included with the OS i got AirVideo, SnagIt, Dropbox, TeamViewer and StuffIt. I also use spaces which is part of the OS, but not enabled by default. I will try to stop all of this and see if that make a difference even if that's not a solution for me. Also it's not like something is taking a lot of resources. I already checked this and the computer is almost completely idle.

gann

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2010#10

I didn't say it was consuming resources... I said something might be in conflict.....

And I hope you are sending all these notes directly to IDM, otherwise they won't know about your issues.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2010#11

DaveS wrote:I didn't say it was consuming resources... I said something might be in conflict.....
                        And I hope you are sending all these notes directly to IDM, otherwise they won't know about your issues.
                        You said "Maybe fire up "Activity Monitor" on your and his machines and see what is consuming more or less resources....." and the way i read this it's related to resources and not conflicts, but either way i only posted some info to provide as much info as possible and not to apply anything. Sorry if i didn't understand what you meant with this comment.

I know this is a user to user forum, but would still expect IDM to pay some attention to this forum and especially since they just released a new product. Even if this is not a official support channel i really think they should use it like most other software developers do with similar kind of forums. There is often a lot of feedback posted in a forum that will never reach the developers in any other way. I won't repeat myself by sending this info again using another channel, but i'm sure someone will eventually. I will consider to buy a license when/if i find the software to work well enough.

gann

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2010#12

gann wrote:I know this is a user to user forum, but would still expect IDM to pay some attention to this forum and especially since they just released a new product. Even if this is not a official support channel i really think they should use it like most other software developers do with similar kind of forums. There is often a lot of feedback posted in a forum that will never reach the developers in any other way. I won't repeat myself by sending this info again using another channel, but i'm sure someone will eventually.
                          I don't think that is a reasonable expectation since they explicitly state the opposite:
                          Welcome to the IDM Forum. This forum is meant as a user-to-user support mechanism where users can share knowledge and tips for all IDM software.

Since these forums are user-to-user based, IDM does not regularly read or reply to the posts in this forum. For problem reports, suggestions, or feature requests, you must email us directly. Our trained technical support staff answers most inquiries within 30 minutes.
                          It is very easy to send them an e-mail.

Regardless, it sounds like you're running the current version of UEM. I can confirm a similar issue. If I start typing in an empty file, just type "aslkdfjalksdfj" repeatedly and as fast as can, out to 180 characters, then stop typing, it will take UEM about 4 seconds to catch up with me.

Similar problem when copying a large buffer. I put in a line with 420 characters, did a copy+paste, did Command+A, Command+C, Command+V a few times. After the clipboard had two thousand lines I started getting the beach ball on the paste.

After I'd pasted in about 65 thousand lines, I did a Command+A to select all the text and then pressed the delete key. I got the beach ball for almost a minute and when UEM returned it did not delete the text. I have not been able to duplicate this, though. Every attempt to repeat has worked as expected so I'm not sure what happened here.

This is on a newer Mac Pro with UEM, mail and Firefox running in the foreground. In the typing and pasting cases there was no more than 4% CPU or any significant disk I/O. When I did the delete, the UEM thread went to 100% CPU and disk usage crept up to 14 I/O per second.

Model: MacPro4,1, BootROM MP41.0081.B07, 8 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.26 GHz, 12 GB, SMC 1.39f5
                          Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, PCIe, 512 MB
                          Memory Module: global_name
                          AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
                          Bluetooth: Version 2.3.8f7, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
                          Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en2
                          PCI Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, Display, Slot-1
                          Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N
                          Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDE721064SLA360, 596.17 GB
                          Serial ATA Device: WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0, 465.76 GB
                          USB Device: Keyboard Hub, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x1006, 0xfa400000
                          USB Device: Apple Keyboard, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0220, 0xfa420000
                          USB Device: USB Audio CODEC, 0x08bb (Texas Instruments Japan), 0x2902, 0x5d100000
                          USB Device: Microsoft Trackball Explorer®, 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation), 0x0024, 0x3d100000
                          USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x5a100000
                          USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8215, 0x5a110000
                          USB Device: PTZ-930, 0x056a (WACOM Co., Ltd.), 0x00b2, 0x1a200000
                          FireWire Device: built-in_hub, Up to 800 Mb/sec

Dec 20, 2010#13

Would someone be willing to try the following to see if they have the same issue?

Open a new file. Type 123 characters on the first line and hit enter.

Do the following until you have 8,192 lines in the file:
                            Command+A Command+C Command+V Command+V

Once you have all those lines, try doing Command+A then Delete then Command+V.

What I am consistently getting is that the Command+V will paste the first 7,317 lines. Line 7,318 will only have 10 characters. I can use the cursor keys to move through lines in the buffer. I will not see the remaining lines in the display until I use the mouse to scroll past that last line.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2010#14

IDM, I have to say I'm disappointed you've chosen to release this in it's current state. Perhaps my system is unique with these problems, but it doesn't appear to be. This has been the case all through the beta and never seemed to get better.

Scrolling, mouse movement, and typing are all slow. eg. Down arrow for 60 lines in UEM ~6 seconds, in BBEdit ~2 seconds. Auto repeat typing: hold down x and type 100 chars: UEM ~8 seconds, BBEdit ~4 seconds. In UEM the text is visibly "filling in" behind the cursor. Selection: UEM, the selection highlighting visibly lags as you move the mouse. BBEdit: selection updates as fast as you drag. On top of that, as you select a range the line of text at the boundary of the selection jumps back and forth by a pixel or so. (Ok, that's not a performance problem, but having the text "jitter" as you drag is annoying.)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
                              Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
                              Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
                              Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
                              Number Of Processors: 1
                              Total Number Of Cores: 2
                              L2 Cache: 6 MB
                              Memory: 4 GB
                              Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
                              Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
                              SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

Dietrich

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2010#15

mdhender wrote:Would someone be willing to try the following to see if they have the same issue?

Open a new file. Type 123 characters on the first line and hit enter.

Do the following until you have 8,192 lines in the file:
                                Command+A Command+C Command+V Command+V

Once you have all those lines, try doing Command+A then Delete then Command+V.

What I am consistently getting is that the Command+V will paste the first 7,317 lines. Line 7,318 will only have 10 characters. I can use the cursor keys to move through lines in the buffer. I will not see the remaining lines in the display until I use the mouse to scroll past that last line.
                                I see the same behavior expect for me it happen at line 5279. Also it took ages when i did a Command+A and Command+X for the 8192 lines. Doing the same in textmate and BBEdit took less than a second.

Maybe IDM should release a public beta next time to fix these kind of basic issues before the final release. This is more like a beta release i think. Maybe they had to rush the release before the end of the year.

gann

Read more posts (23 remaining)