Column Mode error: a fixed width font is required for column mode

Column Mode error: a fixed width font is required for column mode

NewbieNewbie

Dec 24, 2010#1

Today I installed 2.0.0.2 of Ultraedit for MAC, but it seems it (still) has bugs.

Column mode can't be enabled. It always errors with "Fixed width font is needed" - even when I set one like Courier or Courier New.
    ue_2002_fixed_font.jpg (84.16KiB)

ue_2002_column_mode_error.jpg (68.34KiB)

Also, copy/paste still has unpredicted results. Sometimes it does not copy the contents to the clipboard while doing cut, sometimes it pastes completely crap into the text window. I reported this during the beta phase already.

Generally my impression is that the beta phase was way to short to get everything fixed.

Tested on OSX 10.6.5, German language activated.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 24, 2010#2

In UE for Windows there are 2 font settings, one for normal edit mode where a proportional font like Arial or Times New Roman can be also used and one for column/hex edit mode which require a fixed-width font. I don't use UEM, but I suppose there are also two font settings. Does help of UEM not contain information about the font settings?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 27, 2010#3

Nothing stated in the settings. The help file is of no help, as it seems it also has a bug.
        If you click on "Column Mode" in the indexes, you get an error.

As I stated, for me UEM is not ready for me.
        ue_column_mode_help_error.jpg (124.19KiB)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 27, 2010#4

I receive this message by clicking Column Mode button:

"A fixed width font is required for column mode"

I tried using various fonts (such as Andale Mono, Courier New, Courier) but the message is still shown.

What font I have to use? Is it a bug?

Thanx

Dec 28, 2010#5

It's not very intuitive (I asked IDM the same question during beta), but go here...
            View, Set Font, Set Column Mode Font
            ...and select a fixed width font.

In other words, it's not enough to be using a fixed width font in the regular editor mode--you have to also select it for the column mode.

Dec 28, 2010#6

In UE for Windows, I've never had this issue (and I've used it for 12+ years). The difference between the Windows and the Mac versions is that in Windows, the options for column-mode font are fixed-width fonts only. In the Mac version, at least in the versions I've used so far, the font selection dialog for column-mode font includes *all* fonts, not just fixed width fonts, and for some reason it seems to be set by default to a proportional font.

I will send this to IDM in case they're not already aware of it.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 08, 2011#7

If you add a new fixed-width font you also need to make sure that OSX recognizes it as a fixed-width font. I had a problem with getting UE/Mac to recognize a 3rd-party Inconsolata font as fixed-width. The problem was that it didn't install in the Mac's folder of fixed-width fonts. I had to go into Font Book and manually move it.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 11, 2011#8

I never messed with the fonts and didn't get any error messages from column mode.

When I look at View->Set Font->Set Column Mode Font, It is using English->Lucida Grande->Regular 13

I'm running UE 2.0.0.2 on OS X 10.6.6

NewbieNewbie

Feb 24, 2011#9

Randy Norwood wrote:View, Set Font, Set Column Mode Font
                    ...and select a fixed width font.
                    This worked perfectly! Thanks a lot for posting this. I was starting to get frustrated, as Column Mode is one of the most useful things for coding. Cheers.