Copying to new PC

Copying to new PC

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 16, 2004#1

I just bought a new PC and tried copying my old UltraEdit folder to the new PC ... and most everything works. I was a little, but pleasantly, surprised. I do have two issues, though, and I'm hoping there is a quick fix.

First, when I connect to a site with FTP, I can navigate the site if I know the directory and file I want, but once connected, in the file listing, there are no files listed. Like I'm missing a DLL or something. Aside from uedit32.ini and the files in my ultraedit folder, are there other files I need to copy from my old PC before I reformat the drive?

Second, none of the UE context-menu items are on the new PC, not surprisingly. Is there a way to add these without reinstalling?

I'm still using version 8.10b, and don't have keys to upgrade to 10, so please keep that in mind. Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 16, 2004#2

Some registry entries must also be exported from the old PC and imported on the new one. Export these keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Comp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDM Computer Solutions, Inc.]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Uedit32.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]
      @="C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe"

The last one is to set UE as default source viewer for internet explorer. Adjust the path to your settings.

And don't forget the uedit32.kbd (your keyboard settings, if you have configured) and uedit32.cfg (hidden!) file from the windows directory.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 17, 2004#3

Thanks - I grabbed all of the above-mentioned keys from my old registry and imported them into my new one, and that all went without a hitch... unfortunately, it did not fix my ftp problem. It did add UE to my right-click context menu, though, so that's good. Any other ideas for the ftp problem?

Here, ftp works fine, if I know exactly where my file is. But if I have to navigate through a directory tree, I'm stuck because it lists no files nor directories, except for the .. directory. Thanks!

NewbieNewbie

Dec 02, 2004#4

This must have something to do with the FTP server having specific rights assigned by IP or hostname or something. It is definitely not an UltraEdit problem, as I see it.