Telnet logging does not happen in real time

Telnet logging does not happen in real time

NewbieNewbie

Apr 15, 2011#1

Hi,

I am using Telnet and I am logging the session to a file.

In the 'Advanced Configuration', I have already set these options:

- Automatically update changed files
    - Poll for file changes at forced intervals [2]
    - When a file marked for polling.........

Now, I open the file used for logging in ultra-Edit. Then I make sure in the view menu that both following options are on:

- File change polling
    - Auto scroll polled files

Then I connect to the server using Telnet. I type some commands. I see the output of the commands in the Telnet window BUt my 'logging' file stays blank UNTIL I press 'Disconnect'.

Is that really the way the feature is supposed to work? In my case I would like to see the output in real time, well at least every 2 seconds, which is the value of the polling variable.

Does that make sense?

What about the old option 'Automatically update changed files'? I guess my question is why do we need polling if the old variable was doing the job?

Please let me know.
    Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 15, 2011#2

Have I understood you correct? You have enabled sesssion logging for Telnet and at the same time want to see the log file while you are working with Telnet?

I have never used the Telnet feature, but I suppose according to your post that UltraEdit opens the session log file with write+read file lock to prevent other applications including same and other instances of UltraEdit to read from or write to this file while it is used by UltraEdit to log the Telnet activities. You could verify my assumption by using Process Monitor from SysInternals where you can see if the session log file is opened by UE with write and read lock. Or you try to open the session log file within a second instance of UltraEdit while in first instance Telnet is active. If you get an error message, you know that a read file lock is present.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 15, 2011#3

Thanks. That is probably the case.

Now, does that mean that I am cooked?

I mean, the only way to get around this is to use another application to telnet in and log to a file and then use UltraEdit to look at that log file in real time?

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 16, 2011#4

Well, I have never used the Telnet feature, but read now the help page SSH/Telnet Account Manager. At bottom there is the explanation for Scroll Back Log. According to this explanation you should be able to scroll back in existing log directly in the window and therefore don't need to view the session log.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 17, 2011#5

Thanks. But what I want to emphasize is that the log file stays at 0KB until you disconnect the session. Right after disconnection, the log file is populated with all the session content. So it seems like you cannot read the log file while it is capturing. This is very strange.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 17, 2011#6

Yes, I understood that the session log can't be viewed while the session is active. But the question is why do you want to read the log when you can simple scroll the log directly and therefore don't need to open the additionally saved log?

I can't really help you with this issue here because I don't use the telnet feature and I don't even have a server to which I could connect. If no other UltraEdit user really using the telnet feature has some useful hints for you, it would be better you contact IDM support by email. I suppose, there are not many UltraEdit users using the telnet feature and are additionally visiting regularly the user-to-user forums here.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 17, 2011#7

Thanks,

I understand what you mean. That makes sense. I will try to sort that out.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2011#8

After thinking about it, why I really wanted the real-time window was to have the ability to apply syntax highlighting to it and color the words I was looking for, like when I search for errors for example. So if I cannot log in real time, is there a way to color some words within the Telnet session?

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 20, 2011#9

Syntax highlighting is working only for document windows, not for any view. I suggest to contact IDM support by email and ask if the developers could change write+read file lock to a write only file lock if the session log file is really completely locked during a telnet session.