Run Java code in UltraEdit

Run Java code in UltraEdit

Apr 02, 2005#1

The ultimate newbie here. I just downloaded UltraEdit and will be starting a Java class on Monday. I understand you can get UltraEdit to compile and run Java but don't see it in the documentation.

Any help would be appreciated. Pleae keep it simple.

Thanks

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 02, 2005#2

Hi Grey

To configure the Java Compiler you will need to configure a user tool at Advanced - Tool Configuration and enter following data:

Menu Item Name: Run Java Compiler
      Command Line: "full path to javac.exe\javac.exe" "%n%e"
      Working Directory: %p
      Program Type: Dos Program
      Save Active File: checked
      Save all files first: unchecked
      Command Output: Output to List Box and Capture Output
      Replace selected text with: No Replace

That should do it for you!

Note: The case is important for %p, %n and %e and the working directory must be without double quote even if the path can contain a space character.

See also forum topic Execute java swing programs.

Hope that helps!

Re: Run Java code in UltraEdit-32

Apr 03, 2005#3

MrBillG,

thanks, it works.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 14, 2009#4

8O Any chance I could get a little more info on this. I am even worse than a newbie I guess. I am running V15 and would like to know what all of these setups do for me? Also Once I have some code written, what do I have to do to compile and run. Thanks

Power UserPower User

Apr 15, 2009#5

jlindy73 wrote:I am running V15 and would like to know what all of these setups do for me?
            UltraEdit is an editor, not a full-blown IDE. While it doesn't have built-in support for doing things like building and deploying projects it does have a mechanism for defining and integrating your own tools (typically command-line ones like compilers). There are a number of settings available for configuring user tools: what program to run, what parameters to pass it, where to direct its output, etc. MrBillG's post defines values you can use to set up a tool to run the Java compiler on the active file.
            jlindy73 wrote:Once I have some code written, what do I have to do to compile and run.
            I don't know enough about Java to answer this one. While somebody else here might this is really a Java question, not an UltraEdit one. It sounds like you're a Java newbie. Once you know how to do this manually (using the Java runtime and JDK) you should be able to set up user tools in UE to automate things.