User Account Control dialog pops up always when starting UltraEdit (solved)

User Account Control dialog pops up always when starting UltraEdit (solved)

NewbieNewbie

May 04, 2011#1

When I start up UltraEdit 17 then every time Windows 7's UAC asks whether I want the program to make changes to this computer. Even the icon of Uedit32.exe is overlaid with the UAC icon.

UE 17 used to work normally still some days ago, but now the UAC pops up every time that I start UE. Reinstalling UE did not help. I think this started happening after I uninstalled OpenOffice and re-installed LibreOffice - I'm not sure whether that is related. There were also some updates to Windows 7, though that might have been before this issue started happening.

Update on 2011-05-09:

When I reinstall UE into the same directory as before (C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraEdit) then this problem happens. When I reinstall it into some different directory, then the UAC does not anymore pop up. It appears that in Uedit32.exe's properties, on the Compatibility tab, the "Run this program as administrator" setting was enabled. Removing that setting solved the problem.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 11, 2014#2

Well, for me, it is not (thusly) solved.

Just today, each and every time I run UE, I get the UAC popup. However, the Run as Administrator checkbox for UE's Properties is NOT checked.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 11, 2014#3

Perhaps you have set Run as Administrator on the shortcut used to start uedit32.exe.

So the important information needed to help you is: how exactly do you start uedit32.exe?

Or one of the user configuration files UltraEdit loads on startup is located in a directory on which only the administrator account has read/write permissions.

Or you open a file in UltraEdit which is special protected by NTFS permissions or by Windows itself and this is the reason why administrative privileges are necessary to view/edit the file in UltraEdit.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 01, 2014#4

You could also use TweakUAC. I've used it for years and find it great - it's 'set and forget'. I found out about it from Windows Secrets Newsletter, which I've been reading for 10+ years and find it very informative.