File change polling through SFTP

File change polling through SFTP

NewbieNewbie

May 12, 2011#1

I've opened a file through SFTP and activated File Change Polling, but file is not refreshed.

Is this function supported, or is there some settings I should check for it to work properly? (I've changed the settings in File Change Detection submenu.)

Using 15.20.0.1022

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 13, 2011#2

I have never worked with FTP/SFTP feature, but I think the file polling feature is designed to work only for files opened from local or network drives or from a server with UNC path, but not for files loaded using FTP/SFTP.

I suggested IDM support by email that in menu View the command File Change Polling should be always disabled if the active file is loaded with FTP/SFTP to indicate the user that this feature is not available for FTP/SFTP loaded files. This was implemented in UltraEdit v17.10.0.1009.

NewbieNewbie

May 13, 2011#3

Well, if there's no way of polling a file through SFTP, then I have a similar question regarding SSH.

I want to poll a log file from several machines, access is granted through either SSH or SFTP

My options would be:
        1. poll through SFTP (which is no longer an option)
        2. open a SSH session for each, tail the log file, then just poll the output of the terminal (this extra step is because i might need the last 5k lines)
        Is there a more elegant/automated way of doing this?
        Examples:
        • set up UltraEdit to connect to each machine on startup or restore each connection when opening UltraEdit
        • add a command as the first line of the SSH session (15.20 has a remote command option, but that doesn't leave the terminal open after executing)