UES / UC integration - Comparing folders from within UES

UES / UC integration - Comparing folders from within UES

NewbieNewbie

Jul 12, 2011#1

Hi,

If I select 2 files in the tree view in UES and then click the UC button then UC opens with those 2 files in the compare fields. Great. Just what I want. However, if I select 2 folders and then click the UC button it opens in file compare mode and choosing folder mode in that dialog just switches to 2 empty fields for comparison. What am I doing wrong? I'd have thought the integration would have detected that I'd chosen 2 folders and opened UC in the appropriate mode with the fields filled in for me?

Brad

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 12, 2011#2

The UC symbol in the toolbar has the command name Compare two files. So this command is only for running a two-way file compare according to the name.

You can click on File - Compare... to open the Compare Files/Folders dialog, select the 2 or 3 directories to compare and run the folder compare (recursive).

Or you select 2 folders on Explorer tab, right click to open context menu and click on item Compare 2 Directories.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 15, 2011#3

Selecting the 2 folders and context clicking does the job thanks.

To be fair, the file menu has a "Compare..." entry and that defaults to files even if you have folder selected. Anyway, problem solved.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 15, 2011#4

The options set when using File - Compare... defaults to the same as on last usage.

I doubt that UE/UES takes into account what is currently selected on Explorer tab in Workspace Manager (UES) respectively File View (UE) when opening Compare Files/Folders dialog via File menu.

I usually don't use the Explorer tab (which I have docked on right side when opened at all), but usually preselected are the names of the currently active file and the file active before according to document window history. I think that's the reason why the not customizable context menus of Explorer tab as well as Open tab contain menu item Compare 2 Files... or Compare 3 Files... or Compare 2 Directories... or Compare 3 Directories... depending on what is selected in the view.