Copy File using Project File List?

Copy File using Project File List?

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 08, 2005#1

How can we copy files using the "project" file list?

Apr 12, 2005#2

My guess is that we can't copy files through the Project's file list.

However, I noticed that we can copy a file by doing this:

1) open the original file
      2) click on File -> Make Copy/Backup
      3) rename the destination file
      4) close the original file

Is there any way to copy a file within UltraEdit without opening it first?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 14, 2005#3

Run a dos command with copy source target or simply create a tool for that, if you need it often.

It will be also possible to copy all files of a project, but you must write a macro to extract the file names with path from the *.prj file and save it to a batch file, add the target path and run the batch file.

But most of us use a file manager to copy files.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 14, 2005#4

Okay, I created a "Clone File" tool shortcut which calls this command:

c:\local\bat\clone_file.bat "%f"

Here's the batch file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
          if not exist %1 goto ERROR_SOURCE_MISSING
          if exist %1.2   goto ERROR_DESTINATION_EXISTS

:CLONE_FILE
          copy %1 %1.2
          goto END

:ERROR_SOURCE_MISSING
          echo No source file specified
          goto END

:ERROR_DESTINATION_EXISTS
          echo Destination file already exists: %1.2
          goto END

:END
          To use the shortcut, I need to :

1) open the file I want to clone
          2) Advanced -> Clone File (or use a keyboard shortcut)
          3) close the file
          4) refresh the file list (via F5)

Is there a way to get UltraEdit to perform step #4 automatically? How about steps 1 and 3? Would this entail creating a macro? I tried recording the steps, but the macro seemed to miss step #3.

Feb 24, 2006#5

On a similar note, how can we create a folder within UltraEdit's "Explorer" window?

I wish UltraEdit's "Explorer" window could let us perform the usual move/copy/create functions that we normally associate with the Windows Explorer.

It's a pain to have to leave the context of UltraEdit in order to perform basic file functions. An IDE should be able to handle stuff like that.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 26, 2006#6

To do step 1-3 with a macro use this macro:

Open ""
              RunTool "Clone File"
              CloseFile NoSave

Attention: The tool name is case-sensitive.

To your question about basic file functions in the File Tree View: Although I understand that this would be helpful for you, this is not the function of a view.

You could create a new folder in the standard Open and Save As dialog. Have you ever noticed the little "Create New Folder" tool button in the toolbar of these dialogs. And what most Windows users also don't know, that inside the standard Open and Save As dialog the popup menu opened when clicking on the secondary (right) mouse button in these dialogs have all functions of the Windows Explorer. The standard Open and Save As dialogs are mini explorer windows.

You could also configure a tool to start the Windows Explorer with several options, for example with the path of the current file as root directory - see Windows Explorer Command-Line Options.
              Or you simply start the Windows Explorer with the Windows built in hotkey combination WIN+E (WIN = key which looks like the Microsoft Windows logo on the lower left corner of your keyboard).
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 26, 2006#7

Thanks!

I created a tool entry for popping up an explorer window. That'll help.

May 03, 2006#8

Installed 12.00a today. It looks like UltraEdit still doesn't have basic file functions in its Explorer pane. :(

Is this something we should request? Or am I the only one who wants to be able to copy, rename, and move files using the Explorer pane?

Basic UserBasic User

May 08, 2006#9

You can rename files and folders. Right-click the file/folder you wish to rename, and select "Rename" from the contextual menu. I hope that helps a little.

Mary

Basic UserBasic User

May 08, 2006#10

Sorry, you're right about renaming. How about moving and copying?