File View - Explorer - Follow open file?

File View - Explorer - Follow open file?

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 27, 2011#1

Hi,

Isn't it possible to let the Explorer tab in the File View bar "follow" the current open document (tab)?

E.g.:

I have two tabs open with two different files.

a.) "D:\Development\files\index.php"
    b.) "E:\xampp\htdocs\footer.php"

Let's say a.) is the active tab. When I now switch to the File View - Explorer tab I'd like to see the content of the corresponding directory ("D:\Development\files")
    Now I switch to tab b.) and now the Explorer switches automatically to the new directory "E:\xampp\htdocs"

Just a dream or in any way achievable?

Regards,
    highend

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 27, 2011#2

Such a feature does currently not exist in UE v17.30.0.1002. In the tab Open listing just the opened files, the active file is always automatically highlighted. But that is no help for you.

But you can right click on the file tab of a file (active file or any other file) and left click on Find in Explorer pane to open the folder of the file in the Explorer view.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 27, 2011#3

Ok, I've seen this function (show a directory content via windows explorer) before, but an internal solution would be much nicer.

I'll discovered the "Quick open" feature in the meantime which is not bad but requires you to know the exact file name that you want to open.

Regards,
        highend

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 28, 2011#4

highend wrote:... quick open ... but requires you to know the exact file name that you want to open.
          That's not true. The big advantage of the quick open feature is that the complete name must not be known. You can use the Windows file name wildcards * and ? in this dialog. This is an advantage when multiple files should be opened at once, for example for opening a *.cpp and its *.h file beginning both with the same 5 characters.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 28, 2011#5

You're right (again). Just tried Quick Open with wildcards and that's a nice little feature that you can use wildcards as well.