UltraEdit icons for file associations

UltraEdit icons for file associations

NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2011#1

Is there a possibility to have the UltraEdit icon show up in the Windows Explorer file listing for file types that I have associated with UltraEdit? This is for Windows 7.

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 22, 2011#2

If I open in UltraEdit v17.30.0.1012 Advanced - Configuration - File Associations, enter for File types/extensions for example .tmp and for Description the string Temporary file and press button Add, UltraEdit writes to registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tmp]
      @="
      UltraEdit.tmp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp]
      @="Temporary file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp\shell\open\command]
      @="\"
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp\shell\print]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
      UltraEdit.tmp\shell\print\command]
      @="\"
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe\" /p \"%1\""

Although no default icon is registered, Windows Explorer of my 32-bit Windows XP displays *.tmp files now with an icon showing a rectangular white paper with a fold on top right corner and with UE symbol in center of the paper. Interesting is that exactly this icon is not present in uedit32.exe. There is just a similar icon, but not exactly the same. I don't know from where Windows Explorer loads this icon, perhaps from the icon cache containing an older version of the similar icon in uedit32.exe.

Next I opened the Folder Options in Windows XP Control Panel (also available in menu Tools of Windows Explorer on Windows XP), clicked on tab File Types, scrolled down in the list to TMP Temporary file, clicked on button Advanced, clicked on button Change Symbol, selected uedit32.exe and selected the second icon with the new look of the UE document symbol. Windows Explorer added to registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UltraEdit.tmp\DefaultIcon]
      @="
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe,1"

I don't have a computer running with Windows 7 x86 or x64. So I can't post the detailed steps on how to change the symbol for a file type on Windows 7. On Windows Vista and Windows 7 the File Types tab does not exist anymore in the Folder Options according to what I have read. The article Change a File Type’s Icon in Windows 7 describes how to change the icon of a file type with a little utility. Here is a second article Edit File Types in Windows Vista & Windows 7. I found also that the File Types tab still exist on Windows 7 and Vista, but not under Folder Options. You have to click in Windows start menu or in Control Panel on Indexing Options and there on button Advanced, see on Microsoft article Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions the answer on frequently asked question: I want to search for a file type that is not currently being indexed. How do I add a file type to the index? This question is not like your question, but the answer explains the steps to open the File Types tab in Windows 7.

The method which definitely works on Windows 7 / Vista when making everything right is doing it manually using Regedit.exe started as administrator. You have to search in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for uedit32.exe. On every file type found, create a key named DefaultIcon and define the default string value with full name of uedit32.exe, a comma and the icon group index (0 for UltraEdit program icon, 1 for UltraEdit document icon, 2 for alternate UltraEdit document icon).

NewbieNewbie

Dec 26, 2011#3

Thanks, Mofi. It turns out that the File Types that you get to through Indexing Options in Windows 7 is nothing like the old XP file types. It only pertains to indexing and doesn't allow you to modify file associations or icons.

However, the File Type Manager utility you pointed to is quite useful and gives you all of the features of the old XP file types and more. It works for all versions of Windows. One feature allows you to browse the icons in .EXE and .DLL files.

When I ran the utility and added the UltraEdit icon I found the following changes to the registry (which may apply only to Windows 7).

For the .TXT file type it added a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\UltraEdit.txt\DefaultIcon = C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\uedit32.exe,0 for the 0 icon.

It adds an additional UltraEdit.xxx key for each file type icon you add under CLASSES.