Problem with hotkey Alt+0, Alt+1, ... for smart templates (solved)

Problem with hotkey Alt+0, Alt+1, ... for smart templates (solved)

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 17, 2012#1

I am having trouble with the hotkeys used to invoke templates:

"Each of the first 20 global templates may be recalled at a later time using hot keys Alt+0 through Alt+9..."

This seems to be different than before. Alt+1 used to invoke the first template, Alt+2 the second, etc. Now Alt+0 does NOTHING, and Alt+1 invokes the 2nd template, so I now have no means to invoke my FIRST template.

I think this is a bug - I guess it would be that Alt+0 does nothing, at least on my computer, working on an html file.

I am using UE 18.00.0.1029

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 17, 2012#2

I can still insert my global templates with Alt+0, Alt+1, etc. in the same manner with UE v18.00.0.1029 as before in previous versions of UltraEdit. There is no difference in comparison to previous version of UltraEdit. I'm using Windows XP SP3 x86.

In previous versions the templates were numbered from 0 to 49. Therefore the commands for inserting the templates have in Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping the names InsertTemplate0 to InsertTemplate49.

There is no limit for the number of templates in the global templates file. Therefore the templates have no number anymore. The template listed at top in Modify Templates dialog is inserted by command InsertTemplate0, second by InsertTemplate1 and so on.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 17, 2012#3

OK, thanks for letting me know that you are having the same results as before.

Now that I think about it, Alt+0 in UE for me has never been assigned (probably because I originally had it defined with my own definition and then removed it). But under those conditions, for whatever reason, Alt+1 used to give me the first template, Alt+2 gave me the second, etc.

With version 18, all of a sudden Alt+1 was giving me the 2nd template, etc, and there was no way to get the first. I noticed it right away because suddenly all my templates (that I use a lot) were off by one. But reading the doc, indeed version 18 is functioning as documented, where Alt+1 gives the 2nd template (I am not saying this is not logical; I like it fine).

So, I now see that I have to define Alt+0 back the way it is supposed to be - to insert template 1. I will do that. Thanks!

Mar 17, 2012#4

I thought about this some more, trying to figure out what has happened. I believe what I had was a blank template in the first position in my template list, because I wanted my first real template to be invoked by Alt+1 (because it is the first number above the keyboard):

template 1 (Alt+0): blank
          template 2 (Alt+1): my first real template
          template 3 (Alt+2): my second real template
          template 4 (Alt+3): my third real template
          etc.

I'm thinking that when version 18 did its translation to the new format, it discarded my first empty template, and this caused everything else to be pushed up, so now my first real template was invoked by Alt+0 (which I did not have defined), and my 2nd template was invoked by Alt+1:

template 1 (Alt+0): my first real template
          template 2 (Alt+1): my second real template
          template 3 (Alt+2): my third real template

I am mentioning this because maybe someone else had it the same way and is having the same trouble. That's what I get for being tricky! (blank 1st template). Not a problem. :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 17, 2012#5

Okay. Just a little hint:

Instead of creating a dummy template as first template to start with Alt+1, it is also possible to assign Alt+1 to command InsertTemplate0, Alt+2 to InsertTemplate1, and so on.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 18, 2012#6

Yes, I now see that when I look at the keyboard configuration. I think I originally thought the Alt+0, Alt+1, etc was a "built-in" feature that could not be altered so I tried to trick it into doing what I wanted. Redefining the Alt keys would definitely better than the blank template I used. Thanks!