How to make strings span multiple lines... or whatever!

How to make strings span multiple lines... or whatever!

NewbieNewbie

Aug 23, 2004#1

Yes I have read the manual. Or at least some of it! ;-)

While defining other than default string chars is easy enough, I would very much like to let the highlighting of text between double quotes to span multiple lines. Is this possible? (XEmacs can do this, but I'm considering switching to UltraEdit because of its unicode support) Also it would be nice to be able to do the same for brackets like the one above.

I'm not very familiar with UltraEdit yet, so bear with me, if I have missed something obvious!

Thanks in advance for any help

/ve

Aug 23, 2004#2

Hi vicer,

I am in the same situation so if you find the solution, please help me. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thank you very much.

MasterMaster

Aug 23, 2004#3

Same wish here - in Python it's triple quotes (""") that delimits block strings...

Greetings,
        Tim

Aug 27, 2004#4

...well, I did get an encouraging reply from IDM support - they said that they would forward this to the developers. Maybe constant nagging will have an effect someday?

Greetings,
          Tim

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2004#5

Interesting. How long are you willing to wait?

I'm looking for a Unicode capable replacement for XEmacs and thought UE was it. But I'm beginning to doubt it. Haven't given up on it yet though, but also testing jEdit which isn't as slow as people say!

/ve
            ... still haven't found what I'm looking for!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 18, 2004#6

I return to this topic every once in a while hoping to learn something new about this feature. To me it's simply disqualifying - I write a lot of jsp/php code and my lines get rather long. The only reason why I don't give up on UltraEdit is because it's still one of the best out there. I just hope IDM will reconcider adding multiple line highlighting...

Regards,
              Lech

NewbieNewbie

Jan 08, 2005#7

lambrzyk wrote:I return to this topic every once in a while hoping to learn something new about this feature. To me it's simply disqualifying"
                So do I. No news yet it seems or has something actually happened since I was in here la couple of months ago?

/ve

MasterMaster

Jan 10, 2005#8

I've written to tech support a few days ago, and they told me that multi-line strings will be supported in UE 11. They haven't told me when it is scheduled for release, though :wink:.

So, let's hope for the best...
                  Tim

Feb 08, 2005#9

Hi there,

so - did IDM implement multi-line highlighting in V11 as they said?

Thanks,
                    Tim

NewbieNewbie

Feb 08, 2005#10

pietzcker wrote:so - did IDM implement multi-line highlighting in V11 as they said?
                      Yes.

MasterMaster

Feb 09, 2005#11

OK, I read that, too, But - how do you turn it on? My multi-line strings still lose their highlighting at the end of the line. There is no new option in the syntax highlighting pane of the options dialog. The help file is no help, either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
                        Tim

NewbieNewbie

Feb 09, 2005#12

A little experimentation reveals what may be the problem. It looks like multi-line strings are enabled if there's a "String Chars" entry in the language definition, but not if there isn't. Try adding one to the language you're using and see if that helps...

MasterMaster

Feb 09, 2005#13

Wow, thanks! That worked.

Now my programs look a lot nicer :)

However, one bug(?) remains: Autocorrect is still applied within line 2 and up of a multi-line string. So if I start a new sentence with, say "In", and "in" is in my "reserved words" section of the language file, it will be lowercased. This does not happen in the first line (and of course, that is intended).

Best greetings,
                            Tim