Show FILE In Browser

Show FILE In Browser

NewbieNewbie

May 10, 2005#1

When I use "Show File In Browser" UE creates a temp file and sends that file to the browser, not the actual file. Subsequent edits to the file in UE are applied to the original file, not the temp.

For obvious reasons I need the file I'm editing to be the one displayed in the browser. I've tried different browsers and the 3 different temp file settings in UE. Is there something else I can change?

May 14, 2005#2

For anyone with the same issue:

1/ Set up Advanced > Tool Configuration to run browser(s). Here is my Tool Configuration for saving and opening the active file in Firefox:

Command Line:C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe "%f"
      Working Directory:left blank
      Menu Item Name:View in Firefox

2/ Right click on a Toolbar, select "Customize Toolbar" then insert User Tool(s)

If you defined an icon in Tool Configuration (Advanced button) the icon will appear in the toolbar.

<edit>changed configuration to reflect post by Mofi below</edit>

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2005#3

That solves the problem. But actually Show File in Browser in UE should be called Shell Run, because it uses ShellExecute to let Windows to run or open the file as appropriate, just as you do in Windows Explorer.

For example, if the file is HTML, then it launches the default Web browser; it it is .txt, then it launches the default editor for .txt file extension (usually, it is notepad.exe).

May 16, 2005#4

Just tried the tool configuration. It works fine, except I get short pathname. I hate short patnames because it has ~ in its name. My personal opinion about ~ is it is very ugly (thanks to m$ guy for this great idea).

Is there a way to get long pathname of current edit file?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 17, 2005#5

Use "%f" instead of %F in the tool configuration as described in help of UE.

Sometimes I think, all Help buttons should be renamed to "Click me". I'm sure, most users would then click it.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 17, 2005#6

Thanks Mofi, I did try that but obviously I did something wrong the first time.

NewbieNewbie

May 18, 2005#7

I think that I want to do the same thing, let me see:

I want to click on "view source" in my IE which should be displayed in UE.
                In the tool config. I have added

command line: "C:\Programme\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe "%f" "

Then I edit the file and click on the new entry "view in IE" but nothing happens.

Raggi

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 18, 2005#8

You have set the "" wrong.
                  One "" for iexplore.exe with path and one "" for your file.

See also How do I change the default browser setting??
                  Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 11, 2005#9

grph wrote:When I use "Show File In Browser" UE creates a temp file and sends that file to the browser, not the actual file. Subsequent edits to the file in UE are applied to the original file, not the temp.

For obvious reasons I need the file I'm editing to be the one displayed in the browser. I've tried different browsers and the 3 different temp file settings in UE. Is there something else I can change?
                    Was there an answer to your question?

NewbieNewbie

Jun 11, 2005#10

No, I used "Tool Configuration" described above which works and allows for multiple browsers.