Colourless Icons

Colourless Icons

joeym7t

May 14, 2005#1

I didn't upgrade to version 11 till today, and, as much i love new features (and still can't believe there isn't vertical line for block - "indentation guides" in notepad2 for instance), i found something that bothers me.

i just installed new version over old one.

when i customized my toolbar i found out that my custom icons for "User Tools" are now black and white! The very same bitmaps i used on previous version?! and when i click on "advanced" (where user tools are listed) i can see same icons IN COLOUR but only top-right part of them (they are not scaled).
    why is this so?

MasterMaster

Jul 21, 2005#2

Hi joeym7t,

I had almost the same effect when upgrading.
      My icons were in clours I think, but they also did not scale.
      I did an uninstall, clean, reinstall and then it worked.
      (saved all settings before so it was no big deal)....

at the end this should work for you too....

rds Bego
      Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 24, 2005#3

And also use the latest hotfix, if you use the english version of UE!

I also found out, how the transparency of the icons are handled by UE.

BMP icons
        In format BMP no transparent color can be set. So UE always interprets the color of pixel 0 (top left corner) as the transparent color. All pixels with that color are displayed transparent (= with menu color). This is for the icons in menu and toolbars.

ICO icons
        In format ICO a transparent color can be specified. So UE should not automatically select a color as transparent color. This works for the ICO icons in the menu. The transparent color is either the color specified as transparent in the ICO file or no color is transparent. But in the toolbar always the color of pixel 0 is set transparent as for BMP icons. This is a bug in v11.10a+4 and I sent a bug report about it to IDM.

Workaround
        As workaround for the toolbar ICO icon bug give pixel 0 a color, which is not used by any other pixel or which should be the transparent color. If pixel 0 should have the same color as other pixels, you have a problem because not really possible. My suggestion for this situation is to use for pixel 0 a color which differs from the color used also for other pixels only slightly, for example 1 of the 3 RGB values of the color of pixel 0 differs only by a value of 1 from the RGB value of the color of the other pixels with the "same" color.

Update: ICO files are displayed 100% correct in menu and toolbar since UE v20.00.0.1052 and UES v14.00.0.1012 and therefore there is no workaround necessary anymore.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 14, 2006#4

Great detective work Mofi.

An easy way to change the pixel 0 colour to your transparent colour is with IcoFx, a really nice, free utility.

Here are the steps:
          1) File -> new or open or capture or extract or import to load or create the icon graphic you want to use.

2) Choose any of the 16 x 16 color depths you like (True Color + Alpha works fine and looks great)

3) Left click on the transparency bar which is right below the full colour spectrum palette. This sets the forground colour to the transparent colour.

4) Using the Pencil tool (which is the default tool), left click the top left pixel of the image.

5) File -> Export choosing .bmp file format.

In UE, just browse to your newly created .bmp. Done :)