V19: Auto-complete does not accept TAB and RETURN keys (fixed)

V19: Auto-complete does not accept TAB and RETURN keys (fixed)

Power UserPower User

Mar 12, 2013#1

Yesterday I updated from 18.20 to 19.00, and now my "auto-complete" does not work anymore. Yes, it is displayed and I can select entries, but every key that I press (Help says "tabulator" or "enter" or ...) does not select the entry but is used as tabulator or as Enter.

Did I miss something?

Peter

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 12, 2013#2

I'm using currently English UE v19.00.0.1022 on Windows XP SP3 x86 with Windows Classic theme and do not have any problem using auto-complete feature as well as the auto-suggest feature for smart templates. TAB and RETURN work both as designed. Perhaps you are using different settings than I use. I have not tested all possible variants.

So for reproducing the issue you wrote about it would be interesting:
      • Which version of UE you use exactly (full version in Help - About can be selected and copied to clipboard) and in which language?
      • Which operating system do you use and which theme is used (Aero, XP theme, Classic theme)?
      • What is configured at Advanced - Configuration - Editor - Auto-complete?
      • What is configured at Advanced - Configuration - Templates?
      But you need to write this here only if you want a confirmation of the problem by a user. If you want a fix, you better write a problem report and send it by email to IDM support. The email should contain at least the information as asked for above.

Better would be to add a copy of your uedit32.ini and a step by step instruction with an additionally attached example file (or a file usually installed with UltraEdit which is referenced in your email as example file).

Whenever I send IDM support my uedit32.ini, I first close project/workspace (if one opened), close all files (if there are opened files), use the Clear History button in configuration at Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous and exit UltraEdit. Now I create the copy of uedit32.ini, open this copy, delete entire sections [Tools] and [Scripting], remove all absolute path using an UltraEdit regular expression Replace All searching for "++[a-z]:\[a-z]*$ and an empty replace string and save this copy of my uedit32.ini without any history entries or references to files on my computer.

The macro used for uedit32.ini cleanup after using Clear History button:

Code: Select all

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      HexOff
      UltraEditReOn
      Find MatchCase RegExp "%^[^{Tools^}^{Scripting^}^][~^[]+"
      Replace All ""
      Find RegExp ""++[a-z]:\[a-z]*$"
      Replace All ""

Power UserPower User

Mar 13, 2013#3

Interim Report:
        It happens not immediately after start of UE, it happens after working a while. At first I thought that the usage of "Textbausteine" (templates?) is the reason, but maybe it is influenced by another software. After restarting UE it works fine again.

Peter

V19.00.0.1022 / Win 7 Prof. / German

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 19, 2013#4

I just upgraded to 19.00.0.1026 (Win 7 Prof. 64).
          I can confirm this has been happening for me as well. Suddenly the autocomplete does not work anymore; it displays the options dialog but neither TAB nor ENTER nor clicking on an item in the list works.
          Restarting UE solves the problem.

Sometimes it happens after 30 minutes, then again after 3 minutes already, completly random. All I do between is switching windows/programs (doing web-development, so i basically switch between browsers). Still can't nail to any specific action that might cause it. I have not yet found a way to reproduce this, but I will keep an eye on it.

Power UserPower User

Mar 24, 2013#5

I can confirm it again for "19.00.0.1026". But just now I see that there is "19.00.0.1028" which offers also "Minor bugfixes". Let's see.

Peter

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 25, 2013#6

I've sent in a bug report on the 21st of March and unfortunately haven't received any answer yet.
              Bug still remains in 19.00.0.1028

Mar 27, 2013#7

I can now confirm that the bug is a local problem.
                After a reply from IDM asking for the programs configuration files (appdata-files) i've made a copy of those and cleaned up the uedit32.ini from personal information; due to the fact that i upgraded UE for years it still had FTP login information stored in that file (instead of just in ftpdata.ini).
                So i cleaned the file of that data and tried the program again with the the cleaned file. Spent a whole day of using UE without the bug appearing again, so i assume it was due to a hickup in the config file...

Case closed for me.

Apr 17, 2013#8

Just a quick heads-up, the autocomplete problem persisted very randomly later.
                  But the problem has been verified by IDM and has been fixed in the latest patch 19.00.0.1031.