New pricing with UE v20.00

New pricing with UE v20.00

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 10, 2013#1

I see the the new price for UE is now $79 but that gets you a license for the Windows, OSX and Linux versions. This is a good move IMO (from my perspective). Shame the price had to go up in the process but understandable I guess.

MasterMaster

Sep 12, 2013#2

I hadn't noticed that. It does say that, though.

I wonder if UEStudio will be raising price when it goes to version 14 though? Seems them being at the same price is a bit odd to me, even though UEStudio is only available on Windows. It still gets three separate machine activations.

What I'm wondering is... will my current lifetime license I bought for Windows now activate a copy for Linux?

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 12, 2013#3

Interesting. I have a lifetime UEStudio license but I don't think they have plans to port that to Linux or OSX. (I wish they would though!)

MasterMaster

Sep 12, 2013#4

netizensmith wrote:Interesting. I have a lifetime UEStudio license but I don't think they have plans to port that to Linux or OSX (i wish they would though!).
          I have lifetime licenses for both UE and UES.

If they ever port UEStudio to Linux/Mac, at least I'd be ready. :)

I suppose I need to do a Linux install in a VM and see if my current license will allow me to activate it. Better yet, perhaps I should shoot an email to IDM to get a definitive answer, and post it back here. I think I'll shoot the email, it's easier, and I don't have time to install the VM.

I'm just glad the prices won't bother me, since I have lifetime of UE, UES, UC, UC mobile, and UE mobile.

Perhaps, someday, I'll think about UltraFinder and UltraSentry. But at this point, I honestly don't have a use for them in my workflow, since I'm retired. I used to have a need for security like UltraSentry, but no longer.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 14, 2013#5

rhapdog wrote:... see if my current license will allow me to activate it. Better yet, perhaps I should shoot an email to IDM to get a definitive answer, and post it back here. I think I'll shoot the email, it's easier, and I don't have time to install the VM.
            Let us know when you got the answer.

MasterMaster

Sep 16, 2013#6

Here is a response from IDM:
              IDM wrote:Thank you for your message. We are happy to help with this. When you purchased your UltraEdit license, it was for the Windows Platform only. However, since our latest release of version 20.00, all UltraEdit purchases are eligible to run on Windows, Mac and Linux. The cost for this product is different than the original UltraEdit for Windows license you purchased.

Since you purchased UltraEdit for Windows with unlimited upgrades, we would like to offer you a (discount amount removed) discount to upgrade your existing license to our new license that will allow you to run UltraEdit on Windows, Mac, and Linux with unlimited upgrades. You can take advantage of this with the below coupon:
              I removed the amount of the discount I was offered, since my situation may be different than other people's situation.

I have no actual use for UEx or using any platform other than Windows at this time in my life. I'm retired, so don't do the professional level computer programming that I once did, so it is doubtful that I will ever need them anyway. I decided to inquire with IDM on the behalf of others who may be left confused by it (as I certainly was.)

So, the answer is, no, you have to get a new license.