Right click to "Open in UltraEdit" (context menu)

Right click to "Open in UltraEdit" (context menu)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 10, 2005#1

jaydge wrote:On my previous PC, UltraEdit was configured so that on virtually any file type, I could right click the file and have the option to open the file in UltraEdit. I would like to set up my current installation the same way, but can't recall how it's done. Would appreciate any help you can offer on this. Thanks! :)
    This option can be set during installation of UE. You can either install it again or save the following lines to a reg-file, for example "ueditrightclick.reg" and double click on it to import it to the registry. You have to modify the path to ue32ctmn.dll!!!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]
    @="{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

Edited on 2006-10-29: You don't need this registry hack anymore if you use UltraEdit v12.20a or later or UEStudio v6.10a or later. Since this version UE/UES lets you config the shell integration of UltraEdit/UEStudio with a customized menu item name at Configuration - File Associations. The & in the name marks the hotkey in the menu - see other context menu items.

UE v12.20a and UES v6.10a has not only an improved ue32cmtn.dll for 32 bit shell integration. They have also a ue64ctmn.dll for 64 bit shell integration for 64 bit Windows XP/2003.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 28, 2005#2

I tried this but the registry mod would not work for me :( . Perhaps it needs to be different for WinXP Pro, and UltraEdit version 9.20b?

rfour

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 28, 2005#3

No, there is no difference. This keys are the same for all versions of UltraEdit and all OS except Windows XP 64. Check the path to the dll and check the dll too. Maybe a virus has modified the dll.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 26, 2005#4

This is great! I was having some problems with Windows XP, so I did a fresh install on a new hard drive. And because I moved offices, I have no idea where I put my 8.10 install CD. I was able to carry the folder over from the old drive (D:) to the new drive (C:) and this fixed my right-click menu. I can't work without UltraEdit!

NewbieNewbie

Dec 12, 2005#5

Hello all,

I upgraded from 10.x to 11.20+5 a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the small UltraEdit icon in the right-click menu of the windows explorer, left to the "UltraEdit" menu text, is missing. (Using Windows 2000.)

Is there any way to also get that small icon back into the right-click menu?

Although everything works well without it, it's a great help to find the entry quickly.

Many thanks in advance!

Best,
            Carsten

NewbieNewbie

Feb 08, 2006#6

You mention this doesn't work for xp 64, which I have verified :). Is there a different registry script I could try, or is the context menu item not supported for xp 64?

thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 09, 2006#7

IDM has not written yet a DLL for native XP 64 extension shell extension. I have no XP 64.

At the following 3 pages it is explained how to permanently use the 32-bit Explorer instead of the 64-bit Explorer. In the 32-bit version all 32-bit shell extensions work:

How to run the 32-bit Explorer shell on Windows x64
                How to run the 32-bit Explorer shell on x64 - PlanetAMD64
                Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

And all Windows XP 64 users should also read this FAQ from Microsoft Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Another solution was posted in this forum at Windows 64 shell integration?

NewbieNewbie

Feb 09, 2006#8

Mofi, thanks for responding. I've settled for dropping a UE shortcut in the 'Send To' directory for now.

thanks,
                  Scott

NewbieNewbie

Mar 21, 2006#9

Has this disappear from UE 12? There is no ue32ctmn.dll anymore and I have lost my "Open in UltraEdit" context menu entry after upgrading :x

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 21, 2006#10

No, I have ue32ctmn.dll in the program directory of UltraEdit v12.00 and this is a new file not identical with previous v11.20b. Well, the file has not really changed. Only the compile time saved twice inside the DLL has changed. I think, the DLL is identical for many versions. I could see in the past only the 2x4 bytes of the compile time has changed in the DLL.

Have you installed the english version or a localized version?

Check in the file ueinstall.log in the program directory of UltraEdit at
                      [{351DA1D7-B38C-42C9-843C-B64616C4B040}.CopyFiles]
                      if there is an entry with ue32ctmn.dll=.

Note: The copied files can be multiple listed in that section in the log-file. Look only at the last block which starts with UEDOS32.exe= and ends with extras\images\us_icon.gif=. These files are copied during last installation process.

Also please note that this DLL is always in use if you have started the Windows Explorer once after start of the computer and running the UltraEdit install. So the installer cannot update this DLL directly but adds it with name ue32ctmn.dl_ or GI????.TMP (???? = random number) to the UltraEdit directory and specifies that Windows should replace the existing ue32ctmn.dll with this new version on next Windows start. So maybe you only have to restart your Windows.

Edit on 2006-09-04: Installer bug found
                      After several reported problems in the last months I looked at v12.10b into this installation issue and found the bugs. I have reported it to IDM today and the developers will hopefully fix it soon.

What happens during an upgrade or update of UltraEdit (or UEStudio) if the shell integration DLL is already loaded by Windows and so cannot be updated by the installer directly.

Bug 1: First the installer of v12.10b automatically deletes the file ue32ctmn.dll if this is not denied by Windows. So even if you immediately cancel the setup on the welcome screen, the DLL is deleted when not already loaded by Windows. That's very bad. That bug was fixed with the new installer for v12.10b because of the IE7 RC1 problems. So this bug does not exist anymore with current installation packages.

Users who already use the shell integration of UltraEdit and run the uesetup.exe with Windows Explorer will not be harmed by this bug at this point of the installation process because access to the file is denied by Windows. I could see this bug because I have executed the setup with Total Commander. I start Windows Explorer only if I need it to answer a forum question and so the DLL was not loaded by Windows because I don't use the shell integration normally. In Total Commander I can press F4 to open any file with UltraEdit.

Bug 2: The installation procedure detects during installation, if the file can be directly updated because not loaded by Windows or if it must be updated by Windows during next start of Windows. If the DLL could not be updated by the installer itself, it copies the DLL with a temporary name GI????.TMP to the installation directory and registers it with MoveFileEx() API call for move at the next reboot of Windows - see also How To Move Files That Are Currently in Use and the tool MoveEx from Frank P. Westlake.

Now the installation process of UltraEdit v12.10b stops until you have rebooted your Windows. During reboot the DLL is really moved from GI????.TMP to ue32ctmn.dll and replaces the previous version of the DLL. But now the bad situation occurs. The installer of UltraEdit automatically starts again to continue the installation. And because at this time the DLL is not loaded already by the Windows Explorer, bug 1 is responsible for the deletion of the just installed new version of the DLL. After the complete setup has finished you will detect that the UltraEdit option is missing in the context menu of the Windows shell because of the missing DLL.

How to solve that problem until IDM releases UltraEdit and UEStudio with a fixed installation procedure?

After the installation and if requested the Windows reboots (1 or 2), run the uesetup.exe again and repair the installation. Because now the DLL is not present, the installer can directly write it to the program directory and this repair is possible without reboot and a second start of the uesetup.exe.

If you have a backup of the previous version, you can also copy the DLL from the previous version to the UltraEdit program directory.

Edited on 2006-10-29: No more deletion of the shell integration DLL during an update/upgrade with UE v12.20a and UES v6.10a. On first reboot question select YES to replace the DLL and continue the installation after restart of Windows. On second select NO because it is not really needed (installation procedure still not perfect).

Please note: UE v12.20a and UES v6.10a have really a new DLL where not only the compilation time is different to the previous versions. They are released also with a 64 bit DLL version.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 06, 2006#11

For some reason, mine was named "ue32ctmn.dl" (one 'l' at the end) instead of "ue32ctmn.dll". I copied it, renamed it, ran the reg and it worked. Thanks!

NewbieNewbie

Apr 07, 2006#12

I am able to right click and have the option to open with UE-32 (re: Jaydge June 9, 2005), but I have a different problem related to file type. I cannot set UE-32 as the program to open a file with a particular extension. The UE-32 icon does not show up as an option for setting the program that will open a certain file type. There is a rectangular 'executable' icon named "UEDOS32" in the programs list, but it will not open a document.

Thanks for any insight anybody can give me. This is my first post.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2006#13

UEDOS32 is a small command line tool for capturing the output of DOS applications executed as tool from within UltraEdit. It is not able to open a file.

If you are familiar with the registry and the registry editor, start Regedit.exe and search the whole registry for UEDOS32 and delete the keys where you find it.

But I think you are not familiar with regedit, aren't you. So open in your Windows Explorer from menu Tools - Folder Options the tab File Types and scroll through the list of already known "file extension to program associations". Search for the file types which are associated to UEDOS32 and delete this associations because they are useless.

Back to your real problem and a little Windows helping tour. If you double click on a file with an extension not already associated with a program, the Windows Explorer shows a dialog where you can enter a small description for this file and associate a program to open this file. Windows lists in this dialog all programs which are already associated to any file extension. If UltraEdit-32 is not in this list, no file is currently associated to be opened with UltraEdit-32 (uedit32.exe). But the dialog has the button Other for this case. If you click on Other you can browse to uedit32.exe (you must know where the EXE is installed) and associate this EXE to the file. This is the normal Windows method for specifying a program to open a file with a specific file extension.

But UltraEdit offers a much more comfortable method to associate files to open with UltraEdit. In UltraEdit click on Configuration - File Associations. You see a small dialog very similar to the Windows Explorer dialog. You can specify a file extension, a description for files with this extensions and then add the association. UltraEdit will registry it for you.

Big advantage of the method with the UltraEdit configuration dialog in comparison with the Windows Explorer method: UltraEdit now knows that you have associated it to a specific file and you can later delete it also via the UE configuration dialog. You should delete the associations if you ever want to uninstall UltraEdit-32 permanently.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 09, 2006#14

Mofi,

Vielen dank fuer Ihren Rat. The config / file associations tab in UE fixed things nicely. For some reason the Windows Explorer method still isn't working the way it should. I haven't got rid of the UEDOS32 icon yet; perhaps that's still part of the problem.

Tshuss!

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 17, 2007#15

What I've noticed is that right click integration is enabled each time I load UE on the following key:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]
                                @="{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}"
                                I would like to have it here though:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\UltraEdit]
                                @="&UltraEdit"
                                But I don't want to have two UE entries in the context menu.

How do I change this behavior?

Read more posts (4 remaining)