ClearType fonts

ClearType fonts

NewbieNewbie

Aug 28, 2004#1

I've noticed after applying Windows XP Service Pack 2 that ClearType fonts are not rendered properly in UltraEdit. They look just like un-antialiased fonts.

Anyone else seen that?

Not sure if it's always been like that as I've swapped displays too.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 04, 2004#2

Text in UltraEdit should use and display the ClearType setting appropriately as far as I can tell.

Have you verified that the ClearType setting hasn't been reset on the Win XP Display Properties, Appearance Tab, Effects... button?

Dan
      Daniel Kirkdorffer
      http://www.kirkdorffer.com/

NewbieNewbie

Sep 04, 2004#3

Yes, the ClearType is on. I've made a screenshot with the UE menu visible and some text. The Menu list is displayed with ClearType rendering (if you zoom in you can clearly see the menu text in cleartype) but the text in the editor (Lucida Console font) is not.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 04, 2004#4

Same problem here... ClearType is on, and text in menus, the File Tree View,... is displayed using ClearType. But text in the main edit view is not (font is Courier New, regular, size 10).

I'm using UltraEdit v10.20a, and Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 04, 2004#5

Change status of Advanced - Configuration - General - section Display - item Setting this may improve issues with Clear Type fonts on Windows XP and look what happens.

Edit: This setting does not exist anymore in UltraEdit v16.20 and later.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 04, 2004#6

Yes, that did it. Required a restart of UE.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 08, 2007#7

I have enabled the option in the config settings in UE-32 to improve display of ClearType, and I am still getting jaggy, non-antialiased text. I have tried several fonts, including Courier New and Lucida Console. I've restarted UE-32 several times with no luck.

I'm using 10.10c...any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 04, 2007#8

First you should carefully read the Microsoft page ClearType information with all its subpages and follow the steps of the Microsoft ClearType Tuner. And don't forget to adjust first your LCD according to the LCD manual. My experience with TFT displays is that the factory settings are not always the best.

If that does not help, you maybe need a newer version of UltraEdit because current version 12.20b+1 (v13.00 is coming soon in a few days) has a Font Quality setting which has helped many users with cleartype problems as far as I know.

The Font Quality setting can be found at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Advanced.

Are there any plans for improvement in this area?

Sep 07, 2007#9

My particular issue is that Consolas displays fine, but the bold has weird artifacts - no matter what combination of ClearType quality and "this may improve" settings I use. Best described as an extra pixel balanced on top of the lowercase o:

There are a few font sizes that look okay, but most don't. I experimented with Notepad and Consolas bold looked great at all sizes:

Is there any work planned to make ClearType work better in UltraEdit?
                    bold-consolas.png (1.29KiB)
                    A small screen-capture that shows problems with display of bold Consolas in UltraEdit.
                    bold-consolas-in-notepad.png (4.42KiB)
                    A small screen-capture that shows bold Consolas font in Notepad, where it looks good.

NewbieNewbie

Consolas font & bold keywords

May 21, 2009#10

I am using UltraEdit v15.00.0.1046 to work with some Ada code. I use Microsoft's "Consolas" ClearType font in several different text editors, including UltraEdit, on a Dell UltraSharp LCD monitor. It looks fine in every program except UltraEdit when I set the keywords to be boldface. With bold keywords, every letter with a curved top (c, e, p, o, r, etc.) looks like it has an extra bump on top. If I turn off bold then it looks much better. I am aware of Microsoft's Cleartype Tuner PowerToy and UltraEdit's Editor Display->Advanced Cleartype settings. Does anyone know why only UltraEdit has the problem or how to fix it?

- Britt

NewbieNewbie

Re: Consolas font & bold keywords

May 25, 2009#11

I don't know the answer to this. I've used Lucida Console in UE for years without issue except when I reduce font size to the point where some of the letters get cut off due to UE's spacing issues. Only reason I'm responding is to thank you for making me aware of the Consolas font - very nice.
                        Just my luck. Finally found the end of the rainbow. Went there to get my pot of gold. Wrong end.

NewbieNewbie

Re: Consolas font & bold keywords

Nov 19, 2009#12

Britt's post is correct. UE shortchanges Consolas by chipping off pieces from the "bold" letters that he mentioned. Also, in the "normal" text setting, Consolas characters like 0 (zero) and N, are boxed-in on the right side and look like anemic and "pixilated."

Mar 02, 2010#13

With the new UE version 16.00, before I pay to upgrade, has the quality of the display been improved/changed?

Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2010#14

forsooth, you should take a look on UltraEdit v16.20. The page Latest changes to UltraEdit text editor contains the line

Greatly improved font rendering

The email sent to the Beta testers were more detailed, it contained the line

Greatly improved font rendering (predominantly with Clear-Type fonts)

I'm not using ClearType and therefore can't evaluate if the ClearType related rendering problems described in this topic are now solved with UltraEdit v16.20. It would be great if any user using ClearType can post here if UE v16.20 displays text with a ClearType font now better than previous versions of UltraEdit.

Power UserPower User

Sep 13, 2010#15

Mofi wrote:It would be great if any user using ClearType can post here if UE v16.20 displays text with a ClearType font now better than previous versions of UltraEdit.
                                From what I can see, no. Specifically, Consolas still looks bad when bolded. This is with the Font Quality setting (under Editor Display->Advanced) set to "Clear Type Quality" although I can't see any meaningful difference for any of the settings.
                                ue16.20-consolas.png (11.86KiB)
                                Consolas rendering in UE 16.20.0.1009.

Read more posts (7 remaining)