Sorting items in File View > Open?

Sorting items in File View > Open?

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 04, 2013#1

Hello

As I keep a lot of files open in the File View > Open, I need to sort items and find which files I worked on recently.

Unfortunately, this section doesn't include tabs, hence no "Modified" tab I could click on.

Is there a work-around, such as a routine in JavaScript that could sort items in that view?

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 04, 2013#2

All options available for the Open tab in File View window are those displayed on opening the context menu by right clicking into the view.

There are no configuration settings for this file list. There are no scripting or macro commands for doing something on the list in this tab.

The recently active document windows are listed in menu Window at bottom if the configuration setting Old-style window list is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.

Of course you can send feature requests to IDM support for additional options regarding the list of open files on Open tab in File View.

For example you could request an option to list not saved modified files at top of the list. With this option enabled, there would be two sublists within the open files list which do not need to be visually separated. The first sublist contains the not saved modified files and the second sublist contains the remaining files. In both sublists the file names are sorted just by name or sorted first by file extension and second by file name.

Or another request for an option to list the files always according to last active window history instead of (modification state), file extension, file name.

One more request could be an option to list the files always according to file tabs order instead of (last active window history, modification state), file extension, file name.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 05, 2013#3

Mofi wrote:The recently active document windows are listed in menu Window at bottom if the configuration setting Old-style window list is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.
        Thanks Mofi, but I don't see any item at the bottom of the UE window that can display the latest documents, with or without the "Old-style window list" option enabled:
        http://postimg.org/image/v895a6tgh/

I'll send a request to UE to ask for this feature in a future release.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 05, 2013#4

I wrote menu Window and not main window, see the attached image.

However, feature requests for more sorting options for the Open tab and also the Files pane on Explorer tab are definitely a good idea, especially if many users request them. I'm not using those two tabs at all as I have usually not more than 5 files open at the same time, except when I want to run some replaces on all open files. So I will not send feature requests for more sorting options to IDM support by email, but perhaps other users do. I have posted already some ideas for more sorting options feature requests.
          window_menu.png (19.81KiB)
          Menu Window in main menu of UltraEdit v20.00.0.1054.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria