User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

A place for users to discuss the Mac-based version of UltraEdit.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
sometimes UltraEdit gets very slow on my Mac Pro 8-Core, 16 GB RAM, OS X Lion 10.7.5.
Other apps are running normally.
Does anybody experienced this problem to?
Would be great to get any tips to solve this problem.
Markus
I have no Apple Mac and therefore cannot help. But I suggest that you explain more detailed the problem.

When does UltraEdit become slow, on startup or while editing?

How do you recognize that UltraEdit becomes slow, slow display updates, longer delays on user actions?

Are you connected to WWW or to a LAN while UltraEdit becomes slow?

Which other processes are running visible or not visible while UltraEdit becomes slow?

What type of files do you edit, XML, HTML, simple text files?

How large are the files you edit, some KB, some MB, hundreds of MB or even GB?

Are the files stored on a local disk, on a mounted network share, or loaded via FTP?
Best regards from Austria
When does UltraEdit become slow, on startup or while editing?
=> while editing

How do you recognize that UltraEdit becomes slow, slow display updates, longer delays on user actions?
=> slow display updates, longer delays on user actions

Are you connected to WWW or to a LAN while UltraEdit becomes slow?
=> LAN and WWW

Which other processes are running visible or not visible while UltraEdit becomes slow?
=> nothing

What type of files do you edit, XML, HTML, simple text files?
=> PHP, XML

How large are the files you edit, some KB, some MB, hundreds of MB or even GB?
=> some KB, 1000 lines

Are the files stored on a local disk, on a mounted network share, or loaded via FTP?
=> local disc
Okay, all those informations are helpful to isolate the problem.

When an application gets for some time slow while using it, the reason is often on all platforms another application using most of the CPU power, or the hard disk, or running temporary with a higher task priority than all other applications. The Mac Task Manager could be helpful to find out if this is the case on your Mac when UEM becomes suddenly slow on user actions. I found by chance also the article configd: Fixing High CPU Usage Problems with the configd Process in Mac OS X which is an example for such a "problem source".

Another common problem for an application response decrease with LAN and WWW connection being active is a temporary network problem. You wrote that you are editing files on local disk, so this common problem source should not be the reason here. But if you have the File View open and UEM refreshes the list of directories/files in this view and there are mounted shares, it could be that a temporary network problem or the opposite a high network activity results in long delays on reply by the file system on the function calls by UEM. I don't know if the IDM developers have put reading in volumes/directories/files for the File View in a separate thread so that the user interface of UEM remains responsive for user actions even on file system delays because of slow network responses.
Best regards from Austria
4 posts Page 1 of 1