Find in Files - Open Matching Files always enabled after start of UE (fixed)

Find in Files - Open Matching Files always enabled after start of UE (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2014#1

UltraEdit version 21.10.0.1027

As much as I like the "open matching files" option on the "Find in Files" dialog box (advanced options view), I have found one thing in the current version that drives me a bit crazy. The state of the "Open matching files" (checked or unchecked) is not remembered between sessions and always resets to Checked. Other options in the same area like "Search subdirectories" and "Ignore hidden subdirectories" are kept between different executions of UltraEdit.

Is this expected behavior for that one option?

Is there something that can alter the behavior of this (like turn on/off the reset or change the default)? I cannot find one if there is.

Is this a bug?

I am assuming this is a bug as its behavior differs from the other options in the same dialog box, but don't know how to file a bug report against UltraEdit.

Help or thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

DAbbink

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2014#2

This is definitely a bug in the builds 1021 to 1029 of UltraEdit v21.10 as in UE v21.00.0.1033 - the last public version of UltraEdit without tabbed Find/Replace - remembering and restoring option Open matching files works fine.

For bug reports to IDM support click at top of the forum page on email us directly. Another possibility is to use the form on the technical support page, but emails are always better as it makes it possible to attach files or format strings like Open matching files in an email (using HTML email).

I will report this issue as well by email as I detected another very similar problem on testing the storage and restore of Find in Files options on exit and restart of UltraEdit.

As workaround I suggest to open with Notepad or UEStudio the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini while no instance of UltraEdit is running, search for the line starting with Open Matching Files= and change the value from 1 to 0.

Update on 2014-05-22: This bug is fixed with UE v21.10.0.1032.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 23, 2014#3

Hello,
        I have the same problem with UEStudio 14.20.0.1003.

The above workaround doesn't work. "Open Matching Files" is always 0.

Is there a hotfix for UES?

I have often 5 projects open, with often big search, and I forget to uncheck this box, so when I launch a search on word find in 50 files, UES is blocked 30 sec !!!!

Thanks for any help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 23, 2014#4

The problem of dabbink was that on last usage of UltraEdit before upgrade to v21.10 he had option Open matching files checked and therefore uedit32.ini contained Open Matching Files=1. Then he upgraded to UE v21.10.0.1027.

The bug in UE v21.10.0.1021 to UE v21.10.0.1029 and UEStudio v14.20.0.1003 resulted in not saving the current state of Open matching files on exit of UE/UES into uedit32.ini respectively uestudio.ini. As a result of this bug the initial state of Open matching files after start of UE/UES on first opening of Find in Files is always the not updated value from INI file instead of last state on last exit.

As dabbink does not want this option by default being enabled on first usage of Find in Files after start of UltraEdit, I gave him the advice to change the value in uedit32.ini as UltraEdit did not update the value on exit.

Please note that changing the value in uestudio.ini can be done only while no instance of UEStudio is running at the moment. Which INI file to edit is displayed at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced in UEStudio. So it is necessary to start Notepad, open the File - Open dialog, browse to the INI file and select it, or enter the complete path and file name, exit UEStudio and now open the INI file in Notepad for editing. With default INI location it is also possible to exit UEStudio, copy into the address bar of Windows Explorer the string %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\uestudio.ini and hit key RETURN to start Notepad with that file for editing (if Notepad is associated with files with extension INI).

While writing this, there is no hotfix version of UEStudio available for download which contains the same fixes as UE v21.10.0.1032. Therefore I can only suggest to ask IDM by email when a hotfix of UEStudio will be available with the same fixes applied to editing core of UEStudio.

NewbieNewbie

May 23, 2014#5

OK,

I have verify the location of uestudio.ini

What ever the value of "Open matching files" before start, 0 or 1, the checkBox is always check at start of UES.

Need hotFix.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 24, 2014#6

You are right. The value of boolean variable for Open matching files option is not initialized at all on startup of UES v14.20.0.1003 and in UltraEdit versions UE v21.10.0.1021 to UE v21.10.0.1029.

So what I wrote above is not correct and the workaround I suggested does not really work. The state of the option is not only not saved on exit, it is also not loaded on start.

On my computer the option Open matching files is always unchecked obviously just by chance because independent on value 0 or 1 in the INI file after startup of UES v14.20.0.1003 and the versions of UE with this initialization bug.

Update on 2014-08-01: This bug is fixed with UEStudio v14.30.0.1003.