Two-factor authentication

Two-factor authentication

NewbieNewbie

Jul 09, 2014#1

Is there anyway to use UE in a two-factor authentication environment?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 10, 2014#2

Do you want to connect to an FTP/SFTP server using already a two-factor authentication environment?

As far as I know two-factor authentication is mainly required by a server to increase security because of users always saving user name and password and let the applications (browsers, FTP clients) automatically connect using the stored data. The applications do not support automatic answering on second authorization (most likely because not standardized) which increases the security. The same security can be reached if the user does not save user name and password and instead always enter it. But users often don't like that if there is the possibility to let the application pass this authentication information automatically.

UltraEdit supports standardized methods for authentication like user name, password, SSL certificate, public key and private key in nearly all combinations with or without storing the data according to what the user prefers.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 10, 2014#3

So the answer is no. There really needs to be an 'interactive' mode to allow input of multiple password\passcode entries. This is going to become an increasingly common request.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 10, 2014#4

The answer is NO for FTP/SFTP.

The answer is YES for SSH/Telnet sessions as once the session is established, a script on server side executed automatically on session logon can request whatever the author of this script finds useful for additional security on user authentication. If the user who established the session does not reply to the questions like an additional code or password of the script correct, the script on server side can disconnect the session and block the access for some time for the used user account.

Which features are added to UltraEdit is based mainly on how many users request a feature by email to IDM support.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 26, 2014#5

I use 2FA with all of my servers and am trying to get a persistent connection to a Linux server. I'm using the OS X version of UltraEdit v4.1.

When I try to setup an account in the Account manager, I'm not exactly sure of the settings for SSH.

Under General tab I have the following setup:
            • Protocol = SFTP
            • Hostname = mysite
            • Port = 222
            Under Protocol:
            • Server = UNIX
            • SSH = I've tried all options
            Any advise?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 27, 2014#6

It is not clear for me if you want to download, edit and upload files via SFTP (or FTPS) using SSH/SSL as additional security, or you want to work with a SSH console.

UltraEdit for Windows has under File - FTP/Telnet the FTP Account Manager and the SSH/Telnet Account Manager.

The administrator of the server should have given you the technical information how to access the server with using SFTP connections for downloading, editing and uploading files. We cannot really help you as we don't know those technical information. The authentication method to use is defined by server administrator and should be known by you and not found out by trial and error.

Most firewalls block the incoming data channel connection from server to client (your Mac). Therefore most often either the firewall must be configured to accept incoming connections from a specific server or on tab Server the option Passive transfers (for firewalls) must be used if server supports passive transfers. You may also need to use Send after login if your server request additionally to SSH/SSL authentication a second authentication.

Also the port number on tab General could be a different one than 22 as usually used for SFTP. But all that data should have been provided by the server administrator to you.

In UltraEdit for Windows there is at Advanced - Configuration - FTP the option Show FTP log in output window which helps to find out what is the problem if something is not working. So take a look in UEM if in menu Tools in Preferences dialog there is also an FTP branch with such an option. Of course the output window must be opened when using this option to see the log on connecting to the server.

NewbieNewbie

SFTP two factor authentication

Nov 28, 2017#7

Has anyone found a way around Multi-factor authentication for SFTP?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: SFTP two factor authentication

Nov 28, 2017#8

Most users asking for two-factor authentication do not know that SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) –  the protocol itself – does not support two-factor or even multi-factor authentication. This is the reason why two-factor or multi-factor authentication is much harder to break by bad guys.

It is usually necessary to first establish a Secure Shell (SSH) session with a specific very limited user account and password or key phrase/file, enter one or more shell commands to get the permission to establish next an SFTP client/server connection or use Secure Copy (SCP).

UltraEdit supports establishing SFTP client/server connections and establishing an SSH session. But UE does not support both in a scripted way to pass two-factor or multi-factor authentication automated. SCP is not supported by currently latest UltraEdit v24.20 at all as far as I know.

I know that many users next write that WinSCP supports multi-factor authentication which is right. This application is designed for Secure Shell with support of SCP in addition to SFTP. But I have never read about any other application supporting two- or multi-factor authentication on Windows. Of course I have also never searched for such applications because no personal need. If anybody reading this have additional information how other Windows applications pass two-factor or even multi-factor authentication, then please let me and others know, and most important let IDM support know with an email.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 17, 2020#9

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread.  I was looking for this as well.  Since it's not an option, I created a specific RSA key with a passphrase for unique use by UltraEdit.  It's as close to using two-factor as I can probably get.

Now, I don't know if it matters, but running sftp in a PowerShell session, connecting to my server, prompts me for my password and verification code without using my SSH key.  Also, SecureCRT as well as SecureFX both implement two-factor.  However, they are built to do that.  So, those two apps probably don't count.

I use UltraEdit for version control of several files I use with editing Christmas LED files.  I make many changes and alt-tab'g between programs to implement changes would be a pain.

Anyway, just thought I'd add to the discussion in the hopes that it assists someone else looking to do the same thing...

Cheers