Can't (un/re)install: "1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently ..." (solved)

Can't (un/re)install: "1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently ..." (solved)

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 15, 2014#1

Hello

I got a new computer and simply moved the Windows disk to it.

I did run sysprep.exe, but it failed. But anyway, everything works in the new computer, except that the registered UltraEdit 19 that I had told me the trial period had ended :-/

So I tried uninstalling it before reinstalling from scratch, but I get the following error, which appears to actually be from MSI, when choosing either the Remove, Repair, or Modify option:
    1605 - This action is only valid for products that are currently installed
    I ran MS' Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter; Since UE wasn't listed, I chose "Not listed", which prompted for the application's code. I found this in the Registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{635A6AF2-63AF-4C1C-AF57-BDC8AF6D397D}

... so used {635A6AF2-63AF-4C1C-AF57-BDC8AF6D397D}, to no avail.

FWIW, I'm logged as the same user as I was when the disk was in the older computer.

Does someone know what to do to completely remove UE before reinstalling from a clean state?

Thank you.

Update 4 hours later:

I found a solution: The first trick given in this thread (finding and running the uninstall string in the Registry) didn't work, but RevoUninstaller was able to remove all lingering traces of UltraEdit so that I could run the installer again.