Thanks for your help. After reading your reply, I suspect I should have specified that I use uex
Mofi wrote: The order of the file tabs on opening a project is the same as on closing the project, except files have been deleted in the meantime or are not accessible at the moment (server not reachable), or the option Sort tabs on file open is enabled at the moment. This option can be toggled by opening Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - File Tabs - Miscellaneous and toggle state of setting Sort tabs on file open.
file tab order seems to be static and unaffected by changes I make manually, e.g. by dragging file tabs to new position. Right-clicking on file tabs does not offer a Sort File Tabs
command; clicking on Edit ➜ Preferences
offers an Application Layout
section with a File Tabs
tab that has only two options that seem to be unrelated:
- Double-clicking file tab will close file
- Move to nearest left tab after current tab is closed
The information about open files on close of a project, the caret position in each file, the order of the open files, the bookmarks and code foldings, etc. are stored in the *.pui (project user interface) file. So if nobody deletes this file between closing and next opening of a project, the user interface is recreated on project load exactly as leaved last time, except
- configuration setting Open from Explorer also loads file list is enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Advanced resulting in reloading the project which was open on last exit additionally to the file on which a double click was executed to open the file in UltraEdit, or
- configuration setting Close all files when opening or switching projects is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Miscellaneous resulting in keeping opened the currently open files on opening/switching project.
The order of the files without having Sort tabs on file open
enabled is the file open order. By left clicking on a file tab, holding left mouse button and dragging the file tab to a new position in the tabs bar where left mouse button is left, the file tabs order can be changed manually.
.pui files are stored for each project, but apparently not changed to reflect changes in tab order. In fact manually re-ordering the lines in the <File Tab> section has no effect either. If that had worked, it would have been an adequate solution for my purposes.
There are of course no options related to Explorer on uex
. There is an option to Close all files when opening or switching projects
, which I do have set. There are also the following four options (Edit ➜ Preferences, File Handling section, Load/Save tab)
, of which I currently have all but the 3rd enabled:
- Reload files previously open on startup,
- Reload previous open project on startup,
- Use default directory from shortcut on initial file open, and
- Use active file directory for file open dialog default.
Although there's no Sort tabs on file open
option, it's interesting that when I search Edit ➜ Preferences
for "sort" one of the three results points to the Application Layout
section, File Tabs
tab, but there is nothing about "sort" there, only the two options mentioned above.