All new/temp files created through File->New are created on Windows desktop (solved)

All new/temp files created through File->New are created on Windows desktop (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2014#1

Hi,

I am using v21.20 of UltraEdit. I noticed recently that whenever I started a new blank file through File->New, a blank file will be added to Edit window, but at the same time, a file/icon Edit.00x also got added to my Windows desktop. It won't go away even if I saved the new file with a different file name in other folders. Only when I close the whole editor all those new temp files on my Windows desktop disappear, or if I specifically close those new temp files.

Is there any setting to modify this behavior? I checked %temp%, but it does not point to Windows desktop.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 09, 2014#2

There is definitely a problem with temporary files folder.
      1. Check folder path assigned to environment variable TEMP
        Open from within UltraEdit Advanced - DOS Command, enter set as command and click on button OK.
        Check in captured output what is assigned to environment variable TEMP. It could be that you run UltraEdit with a different account, for example as administrator using system account. This is the reason why you should check environment variable TEMP from within UltraEdit.
      2. Check permissions on temporary files folder
        Use File - Save As to save the captured output of command set as file into the folder assigned to TEMP. Copy the path first to clipboard before clicking on File - Save As, paste the path into the file name field and append a backslash and a file name. If this worked, delete the file using File - Special Functions - Delete Active File which should work, too. This is for testing your permissions on temporary files folder from within UltraEdit.
      3. Run disk cleanup tool of Windows to clear temporary files folder
        The number of entries (subfolders and files) in a folder is not endless. The folder for temporary files tend to reach this limit. See Cannot Create New File - Solution how to clean the folder for temporary files using Windows Disk Cleanup tool or manually.
      4. Check if our Windows desktop folder is configured for temporary files for UltraEdit
        As you can read at Moving temp file directory from drive C: to drive D: it is possible to configure manually in uedit32.ini a different temporary files folder for UltraEdit than the folder usually used for temporary files. Open %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini with Notepad while UltraEdit is not running and search for Temp File Dir=. Delete this entry from INI file, save the file and exit Notepad.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2014#3

Mofi,

Thank you so much for your detailed advice. It turns out that, as mentioned in your item 3, "The number of entries (subfolders and files) in a folder is not endless" is the issue. seems once item # in Temp folder hits max, UltraEdit routes temps to desktop. As soon as I deleted most of old items in Temp, it works fine now.

Thanks again and Best regards,

ry10628