Search for identical files in folders of different name

Search for identical files in folders of different name

NewbieNewbie

Oct 31, 2014#1

I have been using alter compare for the better part of the year. And I'm still as green as they come.

I have a hard drive that has a folder with many subfolders. I want to compare it to another hard drive that has many files in its folders. But the files are not necessarily in the same named folders. What is the best approach? Whenever I do get some good results it's pure luck. I'm never quite sure on what type of session to use.

Also I'm uncertain as to how the Finder program can fit into my search. I never got past the trial. There must be an advantage to the Finder program otherwise why would they make it. I want to buy it but I just have to find where the value is.

Bob

Nov 01, 2014#2

I am trying to qualify many hard drives that are loaded with duplications, folders and files. Many folders have similar names and share many similar files. I think what I'm looking for is a very unique solution for a very demanding result.
      First I need to look at what is the most important solution. Before I can call a file a duplication, believing I can now get rid of that extra file I need to know which directory is the most complete.
      If I find three directories that are very similar in file content such as:
      abc\this directory might have three files that are included in the lower two directories.
      dcs\this directory you might have two files that match
      fed\this directory might have a seven files that are also included in the above two directories.
      So the "FED" directory would have the files that I want to keep. If the above two directories have any of these files they should be deleted.
      To make matters worse the folder names are not the same. Filenames are usually the best key I have to work with but I have found that at times MD and CheckSum, image files, works.
      My big problem is trying to find directories that have the most files that are located in other directories. At times I a have the most luck using "flat file" but then I had no control over the directory. I have been working on this program for year and a half. I'm been bouncing back and forth between programs and solutions. As far as the program my best luck has been a combination of UltraCompare and Directory Opus.
      Do we have any ideas out there. I hope I explained myself well enough. As far as my professional level, well enough said.
      Bob
      Robert Snow
      Amerifax
      www.home2000.com

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 01, 2014#3

I do not know any folder comparison tool which can compare folders of different structures. If the subfolders are named different, a folder comparison or folder synchronization will always handle the subfolders as different.

What you can do with UltraCompare as well as with UltraFinder in such a case is to run a find for duplicate files with the two or more parent folders and then decide what to do with the files which exist in both folder structures, but are present in subfolders where name of the folders are not identical.

There is the command Find Duplicates in menu File in UltraCompare for such special file "comparisons".
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 06, 2014#4

Yes I do use a duplicate. I know my question was a shot in the dark, but thought I would give it a try. Thanks for your help
          Bob
          Robert Snow
          Amerifax
          www.home2000.com