Undo problems in UE 21.30.0.1013 (solved)

Undo problems in UE 21.30.0.1013 (solved)

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 01, 2014#1

Is anybody else using UE 21.30.0.1013 ? I just upgraded recently from the previous release to UE 21.30.0.1013 and now I find Undo (ALT- Backspace) is not working and the red / green bars on the left to show changed lines, etc. are not working either. I tried the Edit menu, but the undo / redo is greyed out. Rebooted, etc, but it made no difference.

I have emailed support, but I'm just wondering if anybody else with this version is having this same issue?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 01, 2014#2

If menu item Undo is disabled, the feature is disabled. The reason is usually opening the file without usage of a temporary file. In this case all edits are permanent and cannot be undone. Check the settings at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Temporary Files.

I have just downloaded latest English UltraEdit version from hotfix page and installed it. There is no undo problem. But the version is already 21.30.0.1016. It looks like IDM released very quickly after build 1013 a new hotfix version and the information on hotfix page were not updated immediately. uedit32.exe build 1016 has the file time 2014-10-29 21:30:00. It is very unusual that just 1 day after release of a hotfix one more hotfix is released. Build 1013 must have a serious problem. I suggest to quickly update.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 01, 2014#3

Thanks Mofi. I checked and am still using the Temporary file, that's all just default and I haven't changed that in years (rarely work with huge files). I've just done a "Check for updates" and it says "No updates available at this time" (I have a perpetual licence), so for some reason it's not yet wanting to update normally either - at least not yet! Will have to go and update the old-fashioned way I guess!

Nov 01, 2014#4

Well UE is still telling me there is no updates and I can't locate the hotfix page, just the normal DL page. I searched for Hotfix and Hotfixes, but that lead nowhere. Found a couple of FTP pages, but the latest ones were August. Can you give me an address please?

Nov 02, 2014#5

OK, I found the hotfix page by looking up old links, and yes it's still showing 21.30.0.1013 - perhaps that's why my updating from the program is saying no new version, it thinks the latest version is still 21.30.0.1013. Anyway, I am now running 21.30.0.1016, but I still have no Undo anymore. As you said it worked OK for you, either some left-over from 1013 has mucked things up, or it's something on my system. Do you have any other suggestions? I haven't heard from UE support yet, so I imagine it's the weekend over there and so probably won't hear anything for a couple of days, but I use UE most days, so it's a bit of a nuisance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 02, 2014#6

See the topics
              It is possible that the folder for temporary files is already full and therefore UltraEdit opens the files now without usage of a temporary file.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 02, 2014#7

Thanks Mofi, I clean my system every 1-2 weeks with CCleaner which is much faster than Windows Cleanup, but just to be sure, I also used the Windows Cleanup, though there was very little to cleanup. I also confirmed, using your posts, that the temp directory was as expected and the correct user account. Also as per your posts, I tried using the SET, saved the file OK to the temp folder, then deleted it, all OK.

The C:\Drive where Windows and UE is installed has nearly 200GB clear and the D: where my data files are, has around 10GB spare.

Everything in UE seems fine other than the undo and change indicators. I can open old files, edit them, save them, etc. I can open a new file, and save it fine. I can open a project with a couple of dozen files, edit and save them fine. It would seem that something from .1013 has caused a problem that is lingering, I tried a registry cleanup with UE closed, but no change.

Thanks again for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 03, 2014#8

You can use Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations and backup at least uedit32.ini, better would be to backup all.

Then exit UltraEdit and delete %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini or just rename it to something else. Or you rename the entire directory UltraEdit to something different. Start UltraEdit which creates uedit32.ini or the entire directory UltraEdit completely new.

Test now undo feature. Is it working again?

Yes, then exit UltraEdit, create a copy of new uedit32.ini, start UltraEdit again and open the copy of uedit32.ini and the old uedit32.ini with not working undo feature. Use script RegIniFileSort - Script for smart sorting REG and INI files or macro Sort UE/UES INI from Macros for smart sorting INI and REG files to sort both INI files.

Now it is possible to compare the 2 INI files and merge everything different or missing from old uedit32.ini to copy of new uedit32.ini which is definitely not responsible for not working undo feature (scripts list, user tools list, theme, ...).

Then exit UltraEdit and replace uedit32.ini with copy of new uedit32.ini updated with the settings from old uedit32.ini. Start UltraEdit and check if undo feature is still working.

If undo feature is not working even with completely new created uedit32.ini, restore previous uedit32.ini respectively delete new uedit32.ini or directory UltraEdit and rename back old uedit32.ini respectively %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit. Then uninstall UltraEdit completely via Windows Control Panel (user configuration in application data directory is not changed) and install UltraEdit again.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 04, 2014#9

Thanks Mofi. I did as you suggested and yes the undo works with the new INI, as expected. I ran the Script as you suggested, but the old INI was far far bigger, with going on 20 years of UE use. There was a substantial amount different, so I was going to go through it bit by bit.

UE support got back to me and a bit of back and forth and they now advise "There was a bug in the last release of UltraEdit which has been corrected in an updated build available for download..." I loaded 21.30.0.1018 and copied my old INI back, over the 'new' one. My Undo now works fine again, but my toolbars are different :S I'm sure that's pretty minor, but I didn't play much with all that stuff in the past, just got it to what suited me.

I've advised Support, but they are in a totally different time zone, so may be a while before they get back to me - But we are making progress!
                    Thank you so much for your time and your support, you have done far more than I would have expected and I have advised IDM of this.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 05, 2014#10

I forgot to write about usage of Clear history button at Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous and exit/restart UltraEdit before making the backup of until now used uedit32.ini to remove all history entries from INI file. Then you have an uedit32.ini which contains only configuration settings which is usually much smaller and easier to compare with the newly created uedit32.ini containing only default settings.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 05, 2014#11

No problems Mofi, it was an interesting exercise anyway. I copied over the backed up directory (with UE not running of course), but for some reason it still had the 'new' layout, not my old custom layout that I'm used to. I had to fiddle around a bit, but got it back how it was now and the Undo is still working (with 21.30.0.1018), so all looks like it's OK now. In doing all this I stumbled up what seems to be a whole bunch of old UE and UC Install files, apparently from the automatic installs, and it's chewing up 1.3GB!
                        Anyway, thankyou again for your time and efforts.