F3 to execute Find Next with using docked Find window

F3 to execute Find Next with using docked Find window

Nov 21, 2014#1

After typing in my search text and pressing enter in the Find box, I want to press F3 to search for the next occurrence of the found text. But I have to click the editor to set focus first. Is there an option or something that will allow me to press F3 to find next without setting focus to the editor first?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 21, 2014#2

See the topics:
      Those 2 forum topics are listed on first page of Find/Replace/Regular Expressions forum.

I suggest to configure Ctrl+F to open regular find window instead of quick find window as then there is no confusion about F3 behavior.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Nov 22, 2014#3

Mapping CTRL+F to the regular Find window means I can't use F3 to go to the next occurrence after pressing Enter to select the first. The Quick Find works but goes away if I expand it the full Find. What will work for me is a shortcut key to the Search Box. Can I map a shortcut key to the Search Box?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 22, 2014#4

I don't understand what is your problem.

I have assigned key Ctrl+F to command SearchFind. Further, I have enabled the option Close after find in advanced find options (gearwheel symbol). So after pressing Ctrl+F, entering search string if necessary and hitting key RETURN, the Find window closes and first occurrence of found string is selected if a string can be found at all.

Further, I have NOT enabled setting Show slim find dialog after start at Advanced - Configuration - Search - Miscellaneous. So there is no dialog window anymore after running first find. Now I can simply press F3 for Find Next or Ctrl+F3 for Find Previous.

There is also the setting Find Next/Prev finds selected text (not last searched for text) at Advanced - Configuration - Search - Miscellaneous. With this setting enabled, F3 and Ctrl+F3 search for currently selected text if something is selected and on last regular Find the Regular expressions option was not selected. With last find being a regular expression find, the commands Find Next and Find Previous always search downwards or upwards with the last (regular) expression search string used in Find/Replace window.

As I wrote in the referenced topics, there is hotkey Alt+Q assigned to command SearchQuickFindSwitchFocus to switch focus from file window to quick find window and back to file window.

The hotkey to switch focus between file window and regular find window is Alt+F6. That is a Windows standard key in MDI applications and therefore not customizable. Alt+F6 works also for switching focus between file window and slim find dialog window if this feature is used, too.

Nov 27, 2014#5

The problem is that the option "Close after find" is not in the Find panel because it is docked.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 27, 2014#6

Double click on title bar displaying Find and Replace of docked Find window and the window becomes a floating window. If you want to use the docked window, click on the pin symbol in title bar to enable auto-hide feature. It is of course your choice how you use the find and replace window. The docked window is for users which prefer the usage of the mouse. Users preferring the usage of the keyboard should use the floating window.

Dec 01, 2014#7

So there's no way to switch focus to the editor automatically after performing a find if the Find window is docked?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 01, 2014#8

That's right. The focus remains on docked window and there is no configuration setting to change this behavior.

It is possible to use Alt+N (or just key N if no edit field in docked Find window has the focus) instead of F3 to activate button Next doing the same as command Find Next. Alt+P (or just key P) is like using Ctrl+F3 (Find Previous) with focus on docked Find window.

Hm, it would make sense that option Close after find is also available in docked mode with name "Focus to document after find" and appropriate behavior. You should suggest that by email to IDM support for a future version of UE/UES.