Find/Replace: Don't disable option "Selected text" on removing temporarily a selection

Find/Replace: Don't disable option "Selected text" on removing temporarily a selection

Dec 03, 2014#1

I'm using currently latest UE version 21.30.0.1016 and I'm changing occurrences of string in blocks of text. So I select something, bring up new find/replace dialog and find/replace all in the selected text. Works as expected. Now if I remove the selection, then the "selected text" button in the dialog gets deselected and grayed out, and moves back to "current file". Then later, when I select another block to do my find/replace all, IF I forget to reselect "selected text" then I'll get a global replace all. Whoops. :(

I would like the "Selected text" radio button to REMAIN selected, even if there is no selection. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks,
    Bob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 03, 2014#2

There is the configuration setting Always set 'Find/Replace Where' to 'Current File' in Find/Replace dialog at Advanced - Configuration - Search - Auto Reset Settings. You should uncheck this setting first. But that does not help in the use case as described by you.

I suggest to report this to IDM support by email as nothing can be done by you to change the behavior in the described use case.

The referenced setting is of limited use if the Find/Replace window remains open after a find/replace within a selection, and on removing the selection Current file is automatically selected, and Selected text is disabled automatically. It is nevertheless necessary to press Ctrl+F or Ctrl+R once again although Find/Replace window is opened already to select again Selected text resulting in this case also in previous find string replaced by selected text. Not good for users like you using a find/replace workflow as described by you.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria