Find in column

Find in column

NewbieNewbie

Jan 06, 2015#1

I am new to the "Find in column" feature and have had little success with it. I have been attempting to obtain a count of all records in my file containing 42 in the 1st two positions. I typed 42 in the "Find what" box, checked "In column:" and typed 1 and 2 in the boxes below. I know that there are thousands of records that meet these criteria, yet the search says "0 occurrences found." What am I doing incorrectly?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 06, 2015#2

The IDM developers made a mistake on coding this feature and for downwards compatibility it could not be changed anymore later as this inconsistency was detected by users.

In the find dialog first column has number 0, second column has number 1, etc. while in status bar column 1 is indicated with number 1 and column 2 with number 2. The Sort command works with column 1 to n, just the find in column feature works with 0 to n-1.

The ruler if visible at all at top can be configured to start column counting with 0 or with 1. The ruler starting counting with 0 could be helpful on find in column feature.

So you have to enter 0 for start column and 2 for end column.

Why not 0 and 1?

Well, the specified end column is not included in find.

Or you run Count All with the UltraEdit regular expression %42 or with the Unix/Perl regular expression ^42 to count how many lines begin with 42 and do not use the find in column feature at all.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria