"Enable copy/cut of current line with no selection" seems buggy (solved)

"Enable copy/cut of current line with no selection" seems buggy (solved)

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 16, 2015#1

Hi,

I am using UltraEdit Portable version 16.

I have checked "Enable copy/cut of current line with no selection active" under Advanced/Configuration/Editor.

It works fine as long as I am in the same UltraEdit session. Once I close it and restart, this option is unchecked again. I have to go into configuration and check it again. I have looked at the uep.ini file and find the following value:

Copy No Select=0

I believe this is what controls this option. It appears that this value is not updated even with the option selected in the Configuration. See attached screenshot:

Is there a way I can make it save the configuration correctly ?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    UE1.jpg (79.43KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 18, 2015#2

The entry Copy No Select with value 0 or 1 indeed stores state of configuration setting Enable copy/cut of current line with no selection active.

I'm using only non portable version of UltraEdit for Windows. I could not reproduce this problem with non portable UltraEdit v16.00.0.1025 nor with v16.00.0.1040. Perhaps you use a different version 16.xx.x.xxxx of UltraEdit portable.

However, there are 3 possibilities:
      1. UEP v16.??.?.???? does not write the value of this setting to uep.ini, but reads the value correct on startup from uep.ini.
        In this case you could set the value of this entry in uep.ini to 1 with another editor while UEP is not running.
      2. UEP v16.??.?.???? does not read the value of this setting from uep.ini, but writes the value correct on exit into uep.ini.
      3. UEP v16.??.?.???? does whether read the value correct to uep.ini nor does it read the value from uep.ini.
      In case 2 and 3 there is no way to workaround this bug in code of UEP. You have to ask IDM support by email for a newer version of UEP v16.xx.x.xxxx suitable for your license with this issue being fixed, or you upgrade to latest version of UEP.

There are even more possibilities for the watched behavior, but all other are very improbable.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 20, 2015#3

Thanks Mofi for the reply.

Your comments made me have another look at the issue. I further analysed the problem and it seems I have figured out what goes on.

I am posting my findings for benefit of others who might be having similar issues.

When I change the setting, the new setting takes immediate effect in the UE session. If I close UE and start again, the setting is also saved in the ue.ini file. That is why you were not able to recreate the problem with the non-portable version.

On the other hand, if I restart my PC "WITHOUT CLOSING UE", then the settings are not saved in the ue.ini file. As a result, after the restart of the PC, when UE is opened again, it goes back to the old setting. Try this with the non-portable version and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I think this is applicable to not only this setting but for any configuration changes that you do. Changes will be reflected in the session right away but will not be saved in the .ini file unless UE is closed either by File/Exit or by the red cross on the upper right hand corner.

Thanks for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 20, 2015#4

Okay, that is not a bug. UltraEdit loads everything (settings and histories) stored in uedit32.ini respectively uep.ini only once on startup and writes all changed settings and histories back to file only once on exit.

So all settings changed in configuration or via a context menu are stored in file (or Windows registry) only on exit and not immediately on closing the configuration dialog. The applications I code for my company using setting files use the same management. That increases efficiency especially on having the setting files stored not locally, but on a server as it is also possible for UltraEdit. This application data management is also good for flash based storage medias because of less file updates and therefore less flash reprogramming cycles.

But this data management means all settings changed in current editing session are not saved as long as UE is not terminated. So changes on settings in active UltraEdit instance are not visible for a new instance of UltraEdit started after making a change in configuration dialog but before exiting this instance of UltraEdit.

I'm not using UEP, but I'm wondering that you can restart the PC without UEP being exited. Usually Windows sends the WM_QUIT message to all running applications which results in an exit of UltraEdit with saving all modified files after confirmation by user. When a user is really asked on saving modified files, this quit action takes usually longer than Windows waits for an application handling the message, and therefore asks the user what to do now: wait for the running process, cancel shutdown, or force shutdown and kill the running process with loosing all not saved changes. Well, as UEP is running on a flash media, it could be that the driver for the flash media first writes all modified by just cached files to the storage media and then exits before the running UEP terminated with saving all settings not being possible anymore. I cannot investigate that as not using a USB stick with portable applications. In general it is always better to exit all applications before restarting/shutting down a PC. I use myself most often hibernate mode and therefore do not often shutdown or restart my computers. I don't know how good hibernation works with applications started directly from a portable media and what happens if the portable media is not plugged-in anymore on restarting from last saved hibernation state.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 20, 2015#5

Hi Mofi.

Thanks for a very detailed explanation.

A couple of things I wanted to point out.

1. I am using UEP from C drive and not from a flash drive. I don't know if that will change anything you said above.
            2. It is my work computer that I am using UEP on. I leave my machine running 24/7. Therefore I don't have much control over when my PC will be "logged off" or "restarted" as administrators occasionally perform maintenance tasks and install new softwares overnight which forces a Log Off or Restart. It just so happened that last few times my PC was restarted overnight and every time I had to change that setting again without realizing the real cause of it. If there was an option "Save current Settings", I will make it a habit to click on it every time I make a change.

Anyway, now that I know, I will restart UE whenever something is changed in the configuration to ensure that it is saved in the .ini file.

Thanks again for the help.

Power UserPower User

Jan 22, 2015#6

You know that your Sys-admin can reboot your machine during non-work hours to install updates/hotfixes/patches. My company does that too, but tries to do so only between Friday evening and Monday morning. In addition the company requires that users log off and save their work at least once every 72 hours to prevent issues like you are having.

The obvious answer to your problem is to save settings by closing UltraEdit after you make a change, or do so before you leave at the end of the workday. You avoid problems this way.