Output Window - Terminate runaway code?

Output Window - Terminate runaway code?

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 26, 2015#1

So, given that I do something amazingly silly, and end up running a PHP script that is intent on dumping the letter "a" forever. (Don't ask.)
    I have an output window overflowing with "aaaaaaaaa................." and I can't get it to stop.
    Tried Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Pause/Break, ESC, (and so on)
    Went on to
    Close the output window/Close UEStudio (non-responsive!)

Finally, Task Manager/"End Task".... (Ax Wielding)

What is the magic key combo/chant/??? I can't believe such a simple issue NEEDS to result in Ax use.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 27, 2015#2

Well, if you run a console application without Show DOS box enabled to run in background and with Capture output to get nevertheless the output of this console application, it is expected that the started application terminates itself. UltraEdit/UEStudio waits for the termination of the started tool before it gets responsive for user actions again. It is not possible to terminate or kill a bad coded application running forever as background process with UltraEdit/UEStudio. UEStudio is not a task manager.

You can use Windows command taskkill to kill the console application not terminating itself. Or you use task manager of Windows and end (in real kill) process of the console application not terminating itself.

There would be the foreground task (window) UltraEdit DOS Command Window which can be terminated with a click on X symbol, or using Windows task manager to end the task with that name, or end (kill) process UEDOS32.exe if the started tool is configured with option Show DOS box enabled for the tool.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria