Default File Associations

Default File Associations

NewbieNewbie

Feb 08, 2015#1

I have recently moved from XP to Win7 and have an issue with file associations. My memory tells me that UltraEdit had a dialog that would pop up and ask me to confirm a set of file associations that I wanted UltraEdit to be the default program. I want to see/run this in my Win7 world but can't find it. I do not want to manually associate all file types of interest one be one.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 08, 2015#2

This file association dialog was removed in UltraEdit v21.00 and is not available anymore. I think the reason is that many user simply clicked on button to assign all file types to UltraEdit and contacted some days later IDM support why double clicking on a HTML or a batch file results in opening the file in UltraEdit instead of the favorite browser or executing the batch file.

Therefore registering UltraEdit as default application for opening files of a specific file extension can be done only using Advanced - Configuration - File Associations. Some file extensions often associated with UltraEdit can be chosen from the drop down list. All others must be added manually with keeping existing description if already present in Windows registry or entering a description for the file type.

Those file associations are done in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes. So they are just for the user and not for all users using the machine. And no administrator privileges are necessary to add/remove file associations as just done for current user.

Users of UltraEdit < version 18.20 can check option Check and show file associations on startup at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Miscellaneous to see this dialog again on next startup of UltraEdit. For UE v18.20 to v20.00 the option can be found at Advanced - Configuration - File Associations. The option is not available anymore since UE v21.00 as the dialog is also not available anymore.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 10, 2015#3

Many thanks for the clear detailed response. It is a pity that what I see as a very useful feature being removed because of poor user 'behaviour'