Icon size of toolbar symbols beyond 24x24 pixels for small screen with a high resolution

Icon size of toolbar symbols beyond 24x24 pixels for small screen with a high resolution

NewbieNewbie

Feb 25, 2015#1

My company just provided me with a new laptop that has 3200 x 1800 screen resolution. I tried setting large buttons, but have difficulty seeing the buttons. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

The buttons in MS Office, Visual Studio, and many other applications appear normally. Since many laptop manufactures are providing high resolutions, is IDM going to support this?

I paid for a yearly subscription, but cannot use the products until there is a solution to this problem.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 28, 2015#2

hsedidin wrote:Since many laptop manufactures are providing high resolutions, is IDM going to support this?
      This is a question you must ask IDM support by email. I suppose that no user being member of this user-to-user forum can answer that question.

The development of IDM products is driven by user requests. The more users request a feature or enhancement the higher becomes the priority for being implemented. UltraEdit has included currently only icons for the toolbars in the dimensions 16x16 and 24x24 pixels.

I have never tried what happens when customizing the toolbars and select an image file for a command which has more pixels than what the toolbar has. But I think the image is resized to the toolbar dimensions.

Here is a PNG with an alpha-channel and with a white line between each icon row with a height of 4 pixels from UE v22.00 containing the 406 icons for the commands.

PS: If the physical dimensions of the laptop screen is not about 32" or higher, the resolution of the screen might be higher than what your eyes are able to catch. You might try decreasing the resolution to half of native screen resolution, i.e. 1600 x 900 pixels, and check if that makes any difference for your eyes.
      ue_22_00_icons_24x24.png (254.73KiB)
      Icon set in size 24x24 from UltraEdit v22.00.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

Mar 02, 2015#3

I didn't realize that there would be issues like menu and icon sizes on a display on a 17.3in laptop but I should have based on my experience with desktop monitors. I tried a 28 inch 4K display and at that size the resolution was too much in too little space. I did settle on a 4K display, but it is 39 inches so I still have decent sized icons on the screen and in applications.

I did a bit of web searching about those 3200x1800 displays on business laptops and found lots of complaints because of the way the external display is driven. It has to match the internal display (very expensive to get an external monitor at that uncommon resolution and 4K displays cannot downscale cleanly to it as it is not a multiple of 1920x1080) or the internal display has to drop to 1600x900 or worse it rescales to 1920x1080 which results in a very fuzzy image. Mind you, this is not the internal display's native resolution that is at fault, it is the onboard video chipset and/or its driver limitations. Gamer laptops with better video chipsets didn't have this issue as they could drive either display at different resolutions. I would expect that the next generation of business machines will have better video as well.

NewbieNewbie

May 13, 2015#4

Hi,

I have a Dell M3800 with an incredible display resolution. Downside is that UE looks awkward (see attachment). Fonts are to small or to big, icons also to small. UE newest release (v22.0.0.66) on Windows 8.1.

What to do?
          ue_highres.gif (48.12KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 13, 2015#5

It looks like you are using the small icons. Right click on a toolbar and left click in context menu on Large Buttons to use the 24x24 icons instead of the 16x16 icons. Even larger icons are currently not available as you can read above.

The font and font size in the views can be defined on tab Application in View - Themes - Manage Themes. The Output Window has its own font setting which can be accessed by right clicking into the Output Window and left clicking on context menu item Set Output Font.

The font for the document windows can be configured via View - Set Font and View - Set HEX/Column Mode Font, or using View Increase/Decrease Font Size, or using Ctrl + mouse wheel scroll.

The font sizes for the menus, window title, etc. are defined by the Windows theme settings.

But the font size for the file tabs can be configured for UltraEdit by editing %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini with Notepad while UltraEdit is not running as explained at topic Font size for the File Tabs and the List Views.

The width of the Open Address Bar can be also customized in range of 50 to 400 pixels (default is 200 pixels). Right click left or right of the edit field of the address bar and left click on Customize Toolbar. On left side of the toolbar configuration dialog there is Open Address Bar with Search Box. Double click with left mouse button on Search Box and enter the width value in pixels. An even higher width than 400 can be set only by directly editing the value on line below Open Address Bar in the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.tb0 and of file used layout.tb1 in same directory. Toolbar profile file uedit32.tb0 is a copy of file used layout.tb1.

BTW: PNG is better for screen shots than GIF as Portable Network Graphics image format supports more than 256 colors and is supported by all applications supporting also GIF.

Update: In UltraEdit for Windows v23.20 and UEStudio v16.20 or any later version the width of the Open address bar and the Search string to find combo box can be customized at Advanced - Settings/Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous with the settings Address box width and Find box width which accept also pixel values beyond 400 like 600, 800 or 1000.

Note: A too large value can result in appropriate box not displayed when its position + width does not fit within UE/UES main window.

NewbieNewbie

May 14, 2015#6

Much better now, thanks! Only the icons are still incredible small.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 01, 2016#7

Been using UE since the mid-1990's, always loved it, still love it.

I recently went to a notebook with a 15" QHD resolution display. Everything in the program has scaled beautifully except for the icons. Only the fact that I've been using the same toolbar for a decade saves me when it comes to my toolbar now. Are there any plans to increase the max size of the icons for smaller high resolution displays?

I am using the large icon set and I do know that I can drop the resolution of the display, etc. but would prefer not to.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 01, 2016#8

chrispete, please read above. I suggest sending an enhancement request email to IDM support and ask IDM about plans for larger icons for small screens with a high resolution designed in my point of view for viewing high resolution photos and videos, but not really for working with them. Your email would at least increase the priority for redrawing all 406 icons for small screens with high resolution.