How to get all abbreviations (words in uppercase) into a new file?

How to get all abbreviations (words in uppercase) into a new file?

Feb 26, 2015#1

Hi,

I am finishing my master degree project and I need to put a list with all abbreviations. The abbreviations are words that all characters are in uppercase.

So I was wondering if it's possible to create a regular expression to locate it.

If thought to convert all spaces to "enter" so I will have only one word in each line. Then order it removing the duplicates. And after that list the lines with have all characters in uppercase.

Is it possible? If so anybody could help me to do that?

I would appreciate links or something that goes in the direction of what I need. I'm planning in the next months dedicate some time to learn about the regular expressions.

Thanks in advance.

Leandro

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: How to get all abbreviations (words in upper case) into a new file?

Feb 26, 2015#2

Go to page Downloads - Extras - Macros & Scripts and download the ZIP file containing scripts to Find strings to new file.

Extract from the ZIP file at least FindStringsToNewFile.js into a directory of your choice.

Open this script file in UltraEdit and use Ctrl+G with line number 85 to go to this line. Modify "gi" to just "g" to make the expression case-sensitive. Save the script file and close it.

Use Scripting - Scripts and add this script to list of scripts.

Open your file containing all the abbreviations within text.

Run from menu Scripting now the script FindStringsToNewFile.js.

You are asked for the expression. Enter or copy and paste: \b[A-Z][A-Z0-9]+\b

You get a new file with all strings being an entire word (\b means word boundary), starting with a letter in upper case and having at least a second character being also an upper case letter or a digit. Words with a single upper case letter are ignored like the word I.

You can now sort the found abbreviations listed in a new file using File - Sort - Advanced Sort/Options with having option Remove duplicates enabled to remove all duplicates in the new file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Feb 27, 2015#3

Simple amazing!!! Many many thanks! :D :D :D