Left and Right arrow keys vs Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right

Left and Right arrow keys vs Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 14, 2015#1

We all know I think what these do ... navigate the cursor within a text file.
    In particular the Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right keys move backward or forward by an entire word as apposed to a single character.

Is there any way of reversing this function?

I spend my life holding down the Ctrl key while I navigate.

So I want this to happen:

Left Key = Move to left single WORD
    Right Key = Move to right single WORD
    Ctrl+Left Key = Move to left single char
    Ctrl+Right Key = Move to right single char

Is this something that has to be done at windows level?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 14, 2015#2

Yes, the behavior of those 4 keys is Windows standard. Therefore there are no commands in key mapping configuration dialog for moving caret to next/previous character/word.

But it is in general possible to reverse the behavior by creating 4 macros with hotkeys stored all together in one macro file being configured for automatic load on startup of UltraEdit.

Macro NextChar with hotkey Ctrl + RIGHT ARROW has the command Key RIGHT ARROW.
      Macro NextWord with hotkey RIGHT ARROW has the command Key Ctrl+RIGHT ARROW.
      Macro PreviousChar with hotkey Ctrl + LEFT ARROW has the command Key LEFT ARROW.
      Macro PreviousWord with hotkey LEFT ARROW has the command Key Ctrl+LEFT ARROW.

Those 4 macros are active within document window only for all editing modes (hex editing mode (text area), normal and column editing mode), but not for example in edit fields of Replace dialog or any other dialog.

And of course holding Shift and pressing the Right/Left arrows with/without Ctrl results still in standard Windows caret moving with selection behavior. But maybe even this can be also changed with 4 more macros. I did not test it.

I would not make use of the macros to change the behavior for the caret moving commands. I think, better would be to configure key repeat delay to a low value and key repeat rate to maximum in Windows keyboard configuration dialog to more quickly move caret left/right character by character.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 14, 2015#3

Thank you Mofi :)