typing slow when using document map

typing slow when using document map

Apr 20, 2015#1

I just tried the new document map feature (version 22.0.0.58), but I quickly turned it off because when the document map is open, typing in a document is much slower than without having it open. I can type several characters and a second later I still see them appearing in the document instead of immediately...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 20, 2015#2

It might be interesting for IDM support if this slow display update occurs only under special conditions.

I suggest following:
      • Exit all running instances of UltraEdit.
      • Open in Windows Explorer %APPDATA%\IDMComp by coping this string into the address field at top and hitting key RETURN.
      • Rename directory UltraEdit to something different like UltraEditBackup.
      • Start UltraEdit which creates now a new UltraEdit with all settings set to default.
      • Open the file where you have seen the long delay on display update with Document Map being visible.
      • Enter something quickly and watch display update behavior.
      Do you see the same behavior as with your configuration before?

No, then your configuration my be of interest for IDM support.

Exit UltraEdit, delete newly created directory UltraEdit and rename directory UltraEditBackup back to UltraEdit.

Pack directory UltraEdit into a ZIP or RAR file. Alternatively you can also start UltraEdit and use Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations and add everything into an UltraEdit configuration backup file.

Write and send an email to IDM support (see above the email us directly mailto link) with explaining your observations, attaching the file with your configuration, and adding details about file (type, encoding, size) and the used computer (Windows version, Windows desktop theme).

In case of that slow display update occurs also with the default settings, I have no advice than not using document map.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Apr 22, 2015#3

Hi Jorgen, what font are you using? I tested Document Map very intensively and didn't notice anything similar.

Apr 30, 2015#4

I tried using the default settings, but it is still slow when I type fast.

I'm using Courier New 9 regular.

It only seems to be a problem when editing "large" source files >5000 lines.

MasterMaster

Apr 30, 2015#5

I've noticed this slowdown (slow autorepeat) recently. The culprit is syntax highlighting AND the Zoom level in Document Map. I already reported this issue to IDM and hopefully they will optimize it. Meanwhile you can: deactivate Syntax Highlighting or hide Document Map or do not use maximal Zoom Out in Document Map. I usually use maximal Zoom In in Document Map and then the slowdown is not perceptible.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 08, 2015#6

I have the feeling that refresh of document window with Document Map enabled for a larger file (XML file with 1 MB and 8258 lines) with maximal Zoom Out is faster now in UE v22.10.0.10 in comparison to v22.0.0.58.

Closing Document Map still results in a quicker refresh of document window. But that can't be a great surprise for anybody when using Document Map with maximal Zoom Out on a larger file as the content of the Document Map view is in this case only an unreadable heap of pixels.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria