How to disable print selection only

How to disable print selection only

Basic UserBasic User

May 25, 2015#1

I am using UE Portable ver. 16.

When printing a file, if a selection is active in the file, then it will print only the selected text and not the whole file. Is there a way I can disable this feature. Many times, I have to print the files twice because the first time there was an active selection somewhere in the file. I would like to print the whole file even if a selection is active. Of course, I would like the flexibility of printing the selection only if need be. But the default should be the whole file.

If I go File/Print, then there are options to print all, pages or selection only but when I click on print or preview icon in the toolbar, it prints selection only.

Thanks.
    Subhash.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 25, 2015#2

You can select the Print Range in Print Dialog as it is common on Windows. There is no configuration setting to preselect always All for Print Range independent on there is a selection on opening the dialog or there is no selection.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

May 25, 2015#3

Thanks Mofi for the quick reply.

The Print Dialog does not show up when you click on the Print File icon on the toolbar. The output is directly sent to the printer and you don't know until the document gets printed (wasting paper, not environment friendly besides being a pain).

Has this behaviour remained unchanged in the latest release.

Thanks.
        Subhash.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 26, 2015#4

On pressing Ctrl+P for printing, or clicking in toolbar on Print icon, or clicking on File - Print, UltraEdit v22.0.0.66 for Windows (non portable version) opens always the Print dialog on Windows 7 x64.

Do you have other portable applications running with printing support and can try in those applications if the Print dialog opens?

Is a Print dialog displayed when you open a text file in Windows Notepad and click on File - Print?

The issue could be with printer driver not correct installed or installation partly corrupt. It could be also a problem if the default printer is a network printer with no local printer driver files installed.

I found several topics on answers.microsoft.com about unwanted immediate printing with no Print dialog displayed.

Basic UserBasic User

May 27, 2015#5

I think something got corrupted in the memory but I was able to get the Print Dialog come up after restarting UE.

So, as it stands now, if a selection is active in a file, the print dialog defaults to "selection". Lot of times you don't notice and click on print. I am assuming there is not a way to change that default to "All" even if a selection is active somewhere in the file which is usually not visible on the page in the file you are looking at.

Thanks.
            Subhash.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 28, 2015#6

sssccc wrote:I am assuming there is not a way to change that default to "All" even if a selection is active somewhere in the file which is usually not visible on the page in the file you are looking at.
              That is exactly what I wrote in my first reply.

By the way: Always printing entire file can be achieved with following key strokes with English UE:
              1. Ctrl+P to open the Print dialog,
              2. Alt+A to select Print range All,
              3. RETURN to start printing.