View Highlight All Selected and Match Whole Word only

View Highlight All Selected and Match Whole Word only

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 05, 2015#1

I have the View - Highlight All Selected command available via this shortcut:

Code: Select all

Ctrl+H                ViewHighlightAllSelected  Highlight All Selected
    Is it possible to set this function so that it highlights only the whole string.
    So that it works like the Match whole word check box in the Find dialog.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 05, 2015#2

There is currently in UE v22.10.0.10 no configuration setting to control matching behavior for command Highlight All Selected.

But I could imagine that a configuration setting to use match whole word only if just all occurrences of a single word should be highlighted (in comparison to current selection as also possible with UE v22.10) would be a good enhancement in same use cases. But this matching behavior should be really controlled by a configuration setting as it makes also often sense to use Highlight All Selected without a match whole word only behavior.

I suggest to send an appropriate enhancement request by email to IDM support.

I usually do not send an enhancement request to IDM support when I'm not interested in this enhancement by myself. But this time I just sent following to IDM support:
      Mofi wrote:Highlight All Selected used to find and highlight all occurrences of a single word could run a find with option "match whole word only" depending on a configuration setting at "Configuration - Search - Advanced" for example called:

Highlighting all words matches whole word only

Instead of running on Shift+Double Click or execution of "View - Highlight All Selected" with nothing currently selected or highlighted a find with standard options to find all occurrences of the word anywhere in file including larger words as by default, the matching behavior with this configuration setting checked changes to match only whole words under cursor respectively caret position.

Independent on status of this configuration setting, the execution of "View - Highlight All Selected" with no highlighting active, but there is a selection, the find for all occurrences of the selected text should be without find option match whole word only.

The ultimate solution would be to analyze context of selection. If the selection matches currently just a single word as left and right of the
      selected text are non word characters and the selected text consists of only word characters (letters, digits and underscore), the find could be also with option match whole word only if the configuration setting is enabled. So Highlight All Selected feature would be coded so smart that it finds out if just a single word is selected or a larger string to decide if find should be with match whole word only in case of the configuration setting is enabled at all.

But I'm quite sure that many users want a Highlight All Selected behavior for word at current position of caret respectively double clicked word without matching whole word only and therefore strongly recommend to add such an enhancement for highlighting all occurrences of a word only with a configuration setting to control matching behavior by the user.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 06, 2015#3

It seems that every time I ever post to UE forums I end up offering profound thanks to an Austrian person known as Mofi.
        This time is no different.
        I would not have done anything like as technically precise job of describing the enhancement request as you did.
        Thank you Mofi. I hope you feel the gratitude flowing across the ether :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 31, 2021#4

There are offered since UltraEdit for Windows v28.00 and UEStudio v21.00 at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Search - Advanced for Highlight all occurrences of selected word the configuration settings:
          • Match case
          • Match whole word only
            • ... when selection is whole word only
          The highlighting can be done also configurable with just double clicking on a word or with double clicking on a word with additionally holding Shift key. It is also possible to configure that double clicking on a word does not trigger highlighting of all occurrences of the selected word at all.

The settings give a user the full control on which strings are highlighted on double clicking a word without or with Shift hold or executing the command Highlighted all selected from ribbon/menu View or on pressing Ctrl+. without or with having something currently selected and no strings currently highlighted.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria