Key DEL or Ctrl+X in column mode replaces selection by spaces instead of deleting it (solved)

Key DEL or Ctrl+X in column mode replaces selection by spaces instead of deleting it (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Jul 02, 2015#1

When in column mode, deleting a marquee-selected area of text (via DEL keypress) will blank out the selected area.

What I expect to happen instead is that the selected characters are deleted and then what is to the right is moved to the left to fill that deleted area. IE, your typical text-delete.

Example:

Given the following text in column mode,
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaa

I drag select a portion (represented by X below) and hit DEL:
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaXXXaaa
    aaaXXXaaa
    aaaXXXaaa
    aaaaaaaaa

I expect to see (underscores represent blank spaces):
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaa___
    aaaaaa___
    aaaaaa___
    aaaaaaaaa

Instead I see (underscores represent blank spaces):
    aaaaaaaaa
    aaa___aaa
    aaa___aaa
    aaa___aaa
    aaaaaaaaa

This behavior is new to me vs. other versions of UE. Any idea if this is some setting I may not be noticing that I can address myself?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 03, 2015#2

That is a feature.

In column mode the key DEL deletes the rectangular block IF insert mode is active indicated in status bar at bottom of UltraEdit main window with the string INS. Also Ctrl+X really cuts the selected block in insert mode also in column mode.

But with overwrite mode being active indicated in status bar with OVR, the key DEL as also Ctrl+X in column mode results in replacing the rectangular block by spaces.

See also Advanced - Editor - Column Mode where overstrike mode for column mode can be customized. Press button Help for details on the overstrike options.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 06, 2015#3

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

And for any future reader who may be looking for help in the same issue, note the impact of the Insert key: it will toggle the "INS/OVR" indicator in the bottom right. And, for the column mode setting, Advanced->Configuration->Editor->Column Mode, I found that selecting the "Overstrike if in overstrike mode" radio button was the setting I needed. Together with the Insert key toggle, you can get both types of "what happens when I hit delete" behavior as needed.