Change a toolbar button image

Change a toolbar button image

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 14, 2015#1

This is a really trivial requirement and I can't find an 'official' method.

My issue is with the save file button. In earlier versions UltraEdit used to have a floppy disc image, as do all of the other apps that I frequently use. There is nothing wrong with the current image (arrow pointing into a hard drive) but I find myself thinking twice before recognising it as the save file button...... 8O

So, does anyone know a way to change a button image (but not by hacking resources in the exe file)?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 15, 2015#2

First, take a look at Previous icon set available in UltraEdit v17.00? You can get there the disk symbol for save command from UE v16.30.

Second, do following to replace an icon for a command:
      1. Click with secondary mouse button (usually right mouse button) on any toolbar to open the context menu for the toolbars.
      2. Click with primary mouse button (usually left mouse button) on context menu item Customize Toolbar.
      3. Click with primary mouse button on left side on toolbar MAIN if the commands of this toolbar are not already displayed on left side.
      4. Click with primary mouse button on left side on command Save active document to select it.
      5. Click with primary mouse button on button ... at bottom of the dialog window right to edit field with label Ext. Bmp.
      6. Browse to the *.bmp, *.gif, *.ico, *.jpg, or *.png containing the image to use for the save command in right dimensions (16x16 or 24x24 pixels) and select it.
      7. Click with primary mouse button on button OK.
      BTW: Pressing Ctrl+S saves active file or opens Save As dialog if active file is a new file not yet saved. Ctrl+S works in all applications supporting saving files.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 15, 2015#3

Whoa - that's great, thanks Mofi!

Sep 04, 2015#4

In case anyone is as mad as me, here is an alternative graphic (24 x 24):