User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

A place for users to discuss the Linux-based version of UltraEdit, UEx
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi!

I've just downloaded and installed UltraEdit for Linux 15.1 on my new CentOs installation. I need to add a wordfile I've used in UltraEdit on Windows (language: Rexx). I moved (as root) the rexx.uew file from Windows to /usr/local/share/uex/wordfiles.

Now if I open UEX as root, then it lists Rexx among the other ones. So it reads my rexx.uew file. OK!

BUT if I open UltraEdit from any other normal user (not as root), the rexx.uew is not read and I don't see the Rexx visualization among the other ones.

I checked the permissions of rexx.uew and they are the same as others *.uew files in the same directory.

Any idea or suggestion?
Thanks in advance!
I'm not using UEX, just UE for Windows.

But in UE for Windows the path to the wordfiles directory is customizable at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting.

So open Preferences dialog in UEX (I think, the menu item is in menu Edit) and navigate in tree to Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting. Is there a directory path displayed for the wordfiles directory?
Best regards from Austria
Hi!

In Linux I've discovered there are much less configurations and settings from menu... :-(

Anyway my problem has been solved by IDM official support:

The *.uew files should be copied into user account related directory: /home/username/.idm/uex/wordfiles respectively ~/.idm/uex/wordfiles

Copying the *.uew file just into common directory /usr/local/share/uex/wordfiles is not enough.

The official documentation doesn't tell anything about this, I hope IDM will declare so in coming Linux releases.

Thanks anyway for the fast reply.
Hi Ssardo!

Thanks for not just asking, but also posting the solution. That is definitely helpful for other UEX users.

Now I know from your post:

%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit is the user account related application data directory of UltraEdit on Windows (on using default INI file location).

~/.idm/uex is the user account related application data directory of UltraEdit on Linux.

%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles is the user account related wordfiles directory of UltraEdit on Windows (on using default INI file location and having not customized a different directory as wordfiles directory).

~/.idm/uex/wordfiles is the user account related wordfiles directory of UltraEdit on Linux.

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles is the common wordfiles directory of 32-bit UltraEdit on Windows from which Uedit32 copies the *.uew files into the user account related wordfiles directory on start if there is no %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles directory with 0 or more *.uew files (on having kept default program files directory for 32-bit UltraEdit on Windows x64 during installation).

/usr/local/share/uex/wordfiles is the common wordfiles directory of UltraEdit on Linux for the root user, and from which UEX copies the *.uew files into the user account related wordfiles directory on start if there is no ~/.idm/uex/wordfiles directory with 0 or more *.uew files for all users except the root user.
Best regards from Austria
It would be nice if UEx would first look in the home directory: "/home/username/.idm/uex/wordfiles" then if a wordfile isn't found there look in the shared "/usr/local/share/uex/wordfiles" directory.
5 posts Page 1 of 1