User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

A place for users to discuss the Linux-based version of UltraEdit, UEx
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Historically, it has been hard to get UltraEdit working seamlessly on FreeBSD, but with recent versions, all UltraEdit features (including FTP/SFTP save) can be enabled. From experience, it seems to perform equally fast on FreeBSD as on Linux or Windows.

FreeBSD version: 10.2 (current stable, 64-bit)
Desktop: KDE (although it would most likely work well for any standard desktop)

1. Prepare your FreeBSD workstation for Linux compatibility:

a. Install packages:
    # pkg install linux-c6-base
    # pkg install linux-c6-xorg-libs

If for some reason these libraries aren't added as dependencies, install them too:
    # pkg install linux-c6-gtk2
    # pkg install linux-c6-libssh2
    # pkg install linux-c6-openssl
    # pkg install linux-c6-openssl-compat

b. Add to /etc/rc.con
    linux_enable="YES"

c. Add to /boot/loader.conf
    linux_load="YES"

d. Add to /etc/fstab
    linprocfs /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

2. Reboot FreeBSD

3. Go to http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html and download "UltraEdit for Linux - generic tar" (32-bit version)

4. Unpack at any location of your choosing, for example /home/joeuser/uex

5. Make a small shell script: /home/joeuser/bin/uex with the contents:

#!/compat/linux/bin/bash
    PATH=$PATH:/compat/linux/bin:/compat/linux/usr/bin
    /home/joeuser/uex/bin/uex
(Don't forget to "chmod 755 /home/joeuser/bin/uex" and run the "rehash" command if you are in tcsh)

6. Execute "uex &" from the command line, or add a KDE menu entry pointing to /home/joeuser/bin/uex (you will even get the UltraEdit icon).

That should be all it takes! Please let me know if you have any problems or additional comments.
Wow this tutorial is very helpful for all the people. I am happy because I got new and different information from this tutorial. I am planning to do the article writing with the help of different useful resources. Before starting the writing I refer the genuine resources guidelines and it is improve my writing skills. If you have new ideas and information please share with me.
http://rospher.com/
2 posts Page 1 of 1