Why does status bar not show BOM info for UTF-8 files?

Why does status bar not show BOM info for UTF-8 files?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2016#1

Hello all,

I recently had a problem (not related to UE) with an UTF-8 file. On this occasion I realized that UEs status bar does not show whether an UTF-8 file has a BOM or not. In other words: UE shows every UTF-8 file simply as "UTF-8" independent on having a BOM or not. In my case other editors show my test file correctly as "UTF-8 with BOM".

I know UEs configuration settings, of course, where I can define whether newly created UTF-8 files should be saved with BOM or not. But in this case I only want to load an already existing UTF-8 file and I'd like to see a "with/without BOM" info in the status bar.

Is this a bug respectively is it possible to configure that somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any hint,
    Stefan
    utf8bom.jpg (180.16KiB)
    BOM Handling in different editors

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2016#2

It is not a bug that no BOM information is displayed in status bar of UE v23.00.0.43 and there is also no configuration setting to show/hide information about existence of byte order mark in active file.

I suppose that an indication about active UTF encoded file (UTF-8 or UTF-16) is with or without BOM in status bar was not requested by enough users by email to IDM support to get it implemented in UltraEdit. Therefore I can only suggest to send a feature request email to IDM support. The more users request this enhancement the higher becomes the priority for implementation.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2016#3

Mofi wrote:Therefore I can only suggest to send a feature request email to IDM support.
        Thanks! Okay, I'll do that.