Is it possible to use Backup Toolbar Customizations to transfer toolbars from UES to UE?

Is it possible to use Backup Toolbar Customizations to transfer toolbars from UES to UE?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 12, 2016#1

Ribbon bar is off. Menu bars are on. Classic/Lean.

I have customized the Main toolbar in UEStudio (v16.10). The Backup User Customizations (Toolbars) created the file "Settings [160612_1134].uec".

I copied that file over to a different computer running UltraEdit (v23.10), and Restored User Customizations (Toolbars).

However, the standard UE Main toolbar is not being replaced by the customized Main toolbar from UES.

I am finding a file that looks out of place in the folder: %AppData%\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit -- uestudio.tb0

Is it possible to backup/restore custom toolbars from UES to UE?

If so, is there some intermediate manipulation of the contents or filename?

Have I assumed too much and will now need to Customize, Toolbars, select Main, click Reset?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 13, 2016#2

bsmither wrote:Is it possible to backup/restore custom toolbars from UES to UE?

If so, is there some intermediate manipulation of the contents or filename?
      The Backup/Restore User Customizations feature is not designed in general for transferring user customizations between different applications.

However, UltraEdit and UEStudio use the same core if the used versions are released at the same time (± a few weeks). Therefore it is possible to use toolbars from UltraEdit also in UEStudio. The opposite is problematic as UEStudio has more commands than UltraEdit, for example all the IntelliTips related commands. Those commands need to be removed from the toolbars in UltraEdit as not being functional.

The toolbars of the layouts can be directly transferred with Backup/Restore User Customizations feature. But the currently used toolbar configuration needs an intermediate step as the file name of the currently used toolbar profile file depends on file name of the executable.

There is uestudio.tb0 for UEStudio and uedit32.tb0 for 32-bit UltraEdit and uedit64.tb0 for 64-bit UltraEdit. Therefore it is necessary after restoring the UES toolbar customization on other machine with UE to exit UE, open directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, delete existing uedit*.tb0 and rename uestudio.tb0 to uedit32.tb0 or uedit64.tb0 before starting UE again.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria