F3 for find selected text instead of last used search string (solved)

F3 for find selected text instead of last used search string (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Jul 07, 2016#1

I'm using UE on Windows since 1998 and now I'm trying to move it on OSX. On Windows I can select (highlight) a text and using F3 I can start the Find function, I've tried on OSX and I'm not able to use this, in the keyboard shortcut HTML page this is reported as working but it doesn't seem to work. Anybody is able to use this function? What I'm doing wrong?

Regards, Luca

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2016#2

For this feature the configuration setting Find next/prev finds selected text (not last searched for text) at Configuration - Search - Miscellaneous must be checked in UltraEdit for Windows and additionally the last executed find was not a regular expression find.

My first advice: Open the Find window and uncheck the regular expression option if it is currently enabled and run a find.

My second advice: Look in preferences of UltraEdit for Mac if there is also such a setting like in configuration of UltraEdit for Windows which I don't know because I don't have a Mac.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 08, 2016#3

Mofi wrote:For this feature the configuration setting Find next/prev finds selected text (not last searched for text) at Configuration - Search - Miscellaneous must be checked in UltraEdit for Windows and additionally the last executed find was not a regular expression find.
        Looking in the configuration settings you mentioned I've found that the F3 isn't set as default key as mentioned in the docs. Added the F3 key and everything works fine.
        Thanks
        Luca

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 15, 2020#4

Is it possible to map CMD+F to Find in UltraEdit?

That's how most Mac apps map the Find function. Using SHIFT+F3 is counterintuitive in the Mac environment.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 16, 2020#5

@rhpt, please take a look on UltraEdit for Windows related topic Quick Find versus Find and how to customize the usage of both (Ctrl+F behavior). I am not using UltraEdit for Mac , but UltraEdit for Mac has in Edit - Preferences also a Key Mapping dialog to customize the hotkeys used to run UltraEdit commands.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria