Why does custom toolbar goes AWOL on starting a second instance of UE?

Why does custom toolbar goes AWOL on starting a second instance of UE?

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 05, 2016#1

My custom toolbar as been getting deleted from UE.

Found that it happens when:
    • created new toolbar
    • closed UE
    • opened UE project A (I have 2 projects that I open with batch files)
    • toolbar exists
    • closed UE
    • opened UE project B
    • toolbar exists
    • opened UE project A (while B is still open)
    Project A opens on my other monitor with the same layout, but without any toolbars. I don't understand why it opens on the other monitor. Should it not open in the same position as the other instance?
    Project A does not show my custom toolbar as existing in the toolbar list.
    If I close A the toolbar will not be deleted, but if I close B then it is deleted.

Is this a bug? Due to the second monitor?

I'm using UltraEdit 64-bit Version 23.20.0.43 & Windows 10 Pro

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 05, 2016#2

What do you mean with: opened UE project A (while B is still open)?

Do you have started a second instance of UltraEdit and opening in this second instance project A?

Or do you have opened project A in the running instance of UltraEdit with project B currently opened?

If a second instance was started the behavior can be explained with Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application being enabled in Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 05, 2016#3

When I looked at that setting, it was checked.

So I set it to off, made no difference.
        Set it back to on and the problem is fixed!

Not sure why that would be, but thanks for the clue.

Is there some way to export a toolbar? or some way to back one up?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 06, 2016#4

You should uncheck this setting if you don't want to use multiple different workspaces for multiple running instances.

In %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit there is the workspace file uedit32.in0 or uedit64.in0 depending on using 32-bit or 64-bit UltraEdit. This file contains the settings for the workspace, i.e. which menu to display, which toolbars to display, which views are opened in which mode with their dimensions, etc. In other words a workspace file contains the configuration for all visible elements around the document window area.

In your case with Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application checked there is at least one more workspace file with 1 at end for second instance of UltraEdit. This workspace file can have completely different settings. The main window of second instance can be configured to be opened on second monitor, it can have other views opened than the first view, it can use a different main menu and it can use other toolbars.

By unchecking Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application and closing configuration with button OK, all workspaces files except uedit*.in0 are deleted by UltraEdit. By checking this setting again and starting a second instance UltraEdit creates a copy of uedit*.in0 for uedit*.in1, i.e. duplicating the workspace of first instance for second instance. That is what you have done and that is the reason why second instance has now same workspace as first instance.

There is in menu Advanced the menu item Backup/Restore User Customizations which opens a dialog on which you can choose which configuration files of UltraEdit you want to save into a backup container and from which you can later restore the configuration files. See forum topic How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC? for details about the various configuration files in application data directory of UltraEdit.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria