It was really important to have the wordfile for reproducing this issue with UE v24.00.0.53.
The wrong highlighting of the comments is caused by the multiple syntax highlighting languages defined in the used wordfile. It is standard to have only 1 language per wordfile stored in a wordfiles directory since UltraEdit for Windows v15.00, but a wordfile with multiple languages was nevertheless further supported.
But with the rewritten code for UltraEdit v24.00 there is obviously broken the support for wordfiles with multiple language definitions. The hotfix information page contains for UE 220.127.116.11 released 2017-02-16 the information:
- Addressed crash when using (legacy) composite wordfile
But this definitely not the only problem as I could see with your wordfile and which I reported to IDM support by email. As long as the wordfile contains more than 1 language, the line comment highlighting for nearly all files by language Universe Basic-BancLine
is not working correct.
But wrong language interpreting by UE v24.00.0.53 on using a wordfile with multiple language definitions is not the only problem with your wordfile. There are several other problems as well.
- The color and font style settings are not stored anymore in the wordfile and also not read anymore from wordfile since UE for Windows v20.00. Those settings are stored now in the theme file.
Therefore I strongly recommend to use the macros in ultimate syntax highlighting tools to split the wordfile with multiple languages up into multiple wordfiles each with one language per wordfile, extract the color and font style settings from the wordfiles and import them into the themes file if not already done by UltraEdit on first start after upgrade, and finally delete all color and font style settings.
For most languages it is most likely best to use the wordfiles installed with UltraEdit v24.00 than the older language definitions currently stored in the wordfile.
- String Chars = "'\ is definitely not correct as just 1 or 2 characters can be specified as string characters. I corrected this in attached wordfile to String Chars = "' Escape Char = \
- The line starting with /Delimiters = misses the space character required after the equal sign. I fixed this issue and sorted the delimiters alphabetically.
- I removed the color and font style settings with macro SettingsDelAll.
- The function string %[a-zA-Z_0-9]*: was modified by me to %[0-9a-z_]*: because the find for the function strings are always executed case-insensitive.
- The lines with /Indent Strings SOL = and /Unindent Strings SOL = were removed by me as UltraEdit never supported those invented keyphrases.
- I executed the macro SortLanguage on the language.
- I executed the macro TestForInvalid. Many strings in the color groups contained - which was also defined as word delimiter.
I removed the dash character from line starting with /Delimiters = to get syntax highlighting of strings containing a dash working. Of course this change requires other delimiter characters left and right of a dash character which is interpreted as minus sign.
And I fixed the remaining invalid word definitions. Most of them were operators with multiple delimiter characters. Many were variables with delimiter & at beginning (okay, supported) and & at end (wrong, not supported). Some were tags with delimiter < at beginning (okay, supported) and delimiter > at end (wrong, notsupported).
- I executed the macro TestForDuplicate which found hundreds of duplicate word definitions, mainly in C7 and C8. I kept for all duplicates the word in the color group with lowest color group number (used for highlighting) and deleted the others (never applied in highlighted file).
- I finally executed the macro SortLanguage on the language one more.
The attached ZIP file contains the wordfile for Universe Basic-BancLine
with all corrections as described applied.
Let me know if you have more questions or need more help to redefine the set of wordfiles for usage in UltraEdit v24.00.Update:
The issue with wrong syntax highlighting because of using a composite wordfile containing multiple syntax highlighting language definitions was fixed with UE v24.00.0.73. So it is again possible to use a wordfile with multiple syntax highlighting definitions although really not recommended.